first AG= how many mistakes did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
9 lbs two row
1/2 pound of crystal 40
1/8 pound of roasted barley
3/4 pound of special B

I had these extras laying around and asked for a suggestion on what to do with them. DEUCE offerd up some advice so here is what I did...tell me if and where I screwed up please.
I decided to do the AG thinking in my head of a partial mash so it was a scramble today to get stuff done. using two smaller pots rather than one big one and keeping sparge water heated in the oven in other pans. I put 2/3 of each of these in a 12 qt pot and 1/3 in a 6 qt pot... I heated up 1.25 qts of water per pound of grain in each pot. I knew I would get really bad efficiency doing it my way so I heated up the water to about 160 in each pot and slowly added the grains right into the water..no grain bag or anything hoping it would get more out of the grain...... I had a bit of a problem with keeping the temp steady.. it waivered between 150-165.
I mashed this for about 90 minutes then poured each one into a 12 qt through a big grain bag then took the grain in the bag and set it over the cleaned and sterilized 12 qt it had been mashed in using a big colander. Then I started ladeling 175 degree water over the bag and squeezing the bag a little. After doing this a bit I "tea bagged" the grain in more sparge water until I was getting little to no color from it.
THEN I poured the contents of each of the 12 qts into my bottling bucket to mix everything up well and I ended up with 6 gallons of wort to start the boil ( thinking I'd lose a gallon) I got things cleaned up and the wort into two seperate 12 qt pots ( tight fit) and got the boil going. At 60 minutes I put 1/4 oz of NUGGET hops in each pot ( DEUCE suggested MAGNUM but they were out) at 30 minutes another 1/4 oz in each pot.....at 15 minutes 1/4 oz centenniel in each and at 5 minutes 1/4 oz of cascade in each.
Cooled each pot seperately in the sink using ice water baths and had both cooled down within 45-50 minutes. Poured each one back into the bottling bucket to mix once again and had ALMOST but not quite 5 gallons ( 4.5-4.75) I contemplated adding a half gallon to "top it off" but decided to forego it and take a hydrometer reading..The OG was 1.060 so I divided the wort in half and put it in fermenting buckets and pitched a half a pack of S-05 in each one and put the lids on and attached the airlocks.
I was very careful with being clean and sterile ( Thanks to my wifes help).. It looks and smells pretty good but this was hectic due to simply not having the equipment... I was so disgusted when I realized what I had done ( mixing up partial mash and a full boil in my head) I just used tap water that we boiled....It was so screwy todau my wife and I decided that if this turns out we are calling it " CLUSTERF### ALE" LOL!!!

Your "mash schedule" seems like the most crazy part, but it'll make beer nonetheless. Quite possibly good beer. Who knows what kind of attenuation, but US-05 attenuates like crazy so it'll probably get down there alright.

Your "mash schedule" seems like the most crazy part, but it'll make beer nonetheless. Quite possibly good beer. Who knows what kind of attenuation, but US-05 attenuates like crazy so it'll probably get down there alright.

For some crazy reason I had in my head to do a patial boil ...went to the LHBS and bought the 9 pounds of 2 row as suggested...got all the way home and realized it was AG and NOT a partial boil....had to split everything up in smaller pots because 12 qts were as big as I had.......Shouild I have topped up to 5 gallons?

I think you will be fine. With 1.06 you will get a decent amount of alcohol, you could have topped off but no problem in leaving it the way you did either. I'm sure you will have pretty tasty beer in a few weeks.

Before I ask this, I KNOW airlock activity is not a good indication of fermentation ......BUT as I said I split the batch into two fermentation buckets. Both are sealed well and one airlock is going crazy this morning and the other one..NOTHING. They are setting right beside each other.

Sweetness! Hope this one turns out great... correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt you just recieve a new kegerator to put this baby into?

Sweetness! Hope this one turns out great... correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt you just recieve a new kegerator to put this baby into?

yes...kegerator and CO2 bottle....no regulator or keg yet however. Thanks again for the help.

interesting grain bill....what hops did you use? this actually sounds like quite a good beer although i am interested to hear how that much special b will effect it

interesting grain bill....what hops did you use? this actually sounds like quite a good beer although i am interested to hear how that much special b will effect it
60 MINUTES 1/2 OZ OF NUGGET

30 MINUTES 1/2 OZ OF NUGGET

15 MINUTES 1/2 OZ CENTENNIEL

5 MINUTES 1/2 OZ CASCADE

These were split between the two pots..... I didn't taste the wort like I did the first two times so no idea what I have yet...I am still worried over not topping it up to 5 gallons...

Before I ask this, I KNOW airlock activity is not a good indication of fermentation ......BUT as I said I split the batch into two fermentation buckets. Both are sealed well and one airlock is going crazy this morning and the other one..NOTHING. They are setting right beside each other.

I'm interested in how you split the yeast up? Did you weigh it out? Did you rehydrate it and measure out half the liquid? I'm thinking if you ended up putting more yeast in one, you're going to have more lag time on the one with the smaller dose.

Also, I don't know how hard you did it, but you should refrain from squeezing the grain bag, it promotes the release of the tannins from the husks you're trying to avoid.

I'm betting you're going to end up with, at the VERY least, a very drinkable beer.

I'm interested in how you split the yeast up? Did you weigh it out? Did you rehydrate it and measure out half the liquid? I'm thinking if you ended up putting more yeast in one, you're going to have more lag time on the one with the smaller dose.

Also, I don't know how hard you did it, but you should refrain from squeezing the grain bag, it promotes the release of the tannins from the husks you're trying to avoid.

I'm betting you're going to end up with, at the VERY least, a very drinkable beer.

did it by pouring it onto a plate and seperating into equal halves and just sprinkled on top.......both are bubbling away now...I don't think I had the one sealed right or something because I switched em and it still did not bubble...poured the water out and redid it and blam..started bubbling like crazy immediately.

Latest posts

Back