Syracuse, ny - round 5 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bierhaus only wanted a 1/3. I figured id jump on it and split half of mg 1/3 cuz i wont need that much. Copy wanted in on my 1/3 with me. I posed to see if people would want to do it as a 1/5 split. Its and even 10 or 11 pounds each then. Up to them.

Haha - see what I mean about the confusion in the micro splits!? let me know what you guys want when you figure it out. I *think* bierhaus wanted a full third because he uses it a lot, but could be wrong. Heck I am staying out of it! :D

80, 80, 80 !!

REQUESTED SPLITS:

1. CM-WHET - 1/3 (Copyright1997, JeffB418) - needs 1
2. FB-CHOC - 1/3 (rustbucket, drocu) - needs 1 *would consider 1/4*
3. TF-AMBR - 1/3 (Mparsons327, CBK) - needs 1 *would consider 1/4*
4. TF-FLBR - 1/3 (Rustbucket) - needs 2 *would consider 1/4*
5. GW-C60 - 1/3 (Smashing, drocu) - needs 1 *would consider 1/4*
6. CM-RYEM - 1/3 (twogunz) - needs 2
7. GP‐FLCRN 1/4 (Copyright1977, jhenderson, cidahmastah) - needs 1
8. GP‐RICE 1/4 (Copyright1977, jhenderson, cidahmastah) - needs 1

I believe you forgot to add me in on the Rye, 1/3 of CM-RYEM?

jhenderson - haha

Copyright - I got you down, sorry!

Come on guys let's start closing some splits!!! 80 80 80 *chants*

Cidah,

Put me down for a 1/4 on GP-FLCRN (Flaked Corn). I'll finish that split for ya.

Now someone take 1/3 of the wheat to finish my split! Pleaseeee.

Jeff B

Jhenderson and copyright, want to split that last 1/3 of pale choc? So we'll each get 5-6#?

cidah, im pressing more cider today... im going to to press some for the back sweetening part of the process. I am making twelve gallons and will come out with roughly 11 after the 1/2 gallon of poop on the bottom is removed (in both carboys)

how much cider should i freeze? this is confusing i guess cuz of your statement which is kinda contradictory

"For backsweetening, when you freeze it and half thaw it and pour off you are simply leaving behind more water than sugar. So the cider sugar value gets jacked up."

cidah, im pressing more cider today... im going to to press some for the back sweetening part of the process. I am making twelve gallons and will come out with roughly 11 after the 1/2 gallon of poop on the bottom is removed (in both carboys)

how much cider should i freeze? this is confusing i guess cuz of your statement which is kinda contradictory

"For backsweetening, when you freeze it and half thaw it and pour off you are simply leaving behind more water than sugar. So the cider sugar value gets jacked up."

All you need to do is freeze the cider you need (see below for about how much).

Once frozen let thaw and pour off liquid leaving behind ice in jug (about half of the volume). The ice is mostly water and the cider poured off has more sugar in it as a result (more flavor too). Now you have made your homemade cider concentrate.

How much:

Not sure how much you would need but I would guess about 1.65 gallons "cider concentrate" per 5g draft keg (making ~ 1/3 contribution of "cider concentrate" cider to a ~ 2/3 "hard cider" filled 5 gallon keg). So if you are doing 11G finished then you should be able to make about 3-4 kegs worth. Thus, you would need about 5-6.6 gallons of "cider concentrate"; therefore needing about 10-12 gallons of regular cider pressed that would later be converted into "cider concentrate".

make sense?

This is all approximate though... You will have to mix this stuff in a bottling bucket as I previously outlined and taste it to get your proper mix. Then rack to the keg.

With cider like this, the trick is getting the mix right after the ferment, which is totally the opposite of brewing.

If we get to 60 bags... I will add on another full bag to the effort!

close those splits! haha

Cidah not only is my girl gonna have my nuts, but you keep buying yours is gonna have urs too!

haha you are right. There is going to have to be some sneaky dealings when i bring all this grain into the house. Hopefully she only sees the last bag or two going in :D

Lol. Im done for this buy when the flaked rice closes. I got enouh to last a year now.

I say that, then I do a favor for a friend... get together... wedding... At least you know you will be able to make brew in the event of an apocalypse this winter!

I ve got my count at 1/4 flaked corn, 1/8 aromatic, 1/5 roast barley, 1/3 fl wheat, 1/3 50/50 split brown, .11 choc pale, potentially 1/4 fl rice, 1/7 pbw and 1 gallon star sand. Around 105 with shipping not counting flaked rice. Just want to make sure im accurate still.

I ve got my count at 1/4 flaked corn, 1/8 aromatic, 1/5 roast barley, 1/3 fl wheat, 1/3 50/50 split brown, .11 choc pale, potentially 1/4 fl rice, 1/7 pbw and 1 gallon star sand. Around 105 with shipping not counting flaked rice. Just want to make sure im accurate still.

so right now I have you for the above:

however I don't have you down for the brown split - please confirm with who.
The flaked rice isn't closed... YET, as you pointed out

Post # 2 should be 100% spot on (i.e. let me know if it isn't right there, because that is the data I pull from to put into my actual order sheet).

thus, I have you for ~$89

Update: 56 BAGS

This weekend try to flush out any more orders items you might have in you - ask your friends whatever.

It would be great to close this after the weekend on Monday-Wednesday so we can get a firm quote and collect payments - they will take longer to collect if we have to use checks which is looking about 50/50. I don't want to accept payments with a fee because it will undermine our position, and I have to resend the payment to the buyer, thus I would have to pay a 3% fee. Will keep you updated on that.

Solid push past couple days though - we are just a bag or so away. The more bags, the cheaper the shipping per bag.

I will say, I personally won't coordinate another one of these until we get through the bulk of the winter (nothing personal ;)). So stock up while you can!

I would like to keep a 1/3 of the pale chocolate, as I do use it a lot. Therefore, I should be down for 1/3 pale choc, 1/3 brown, 1/3 roast barley. Sorry to confuse things.

Mparsons327 said:
How can I load the money to paypal so I can avoid those charges?

Link your bank account to your Paypal account. It will take 2-3 business days to confirm, unless you feel comfortable giving Paypal your online banking password.

Cidah, will direct payments via my Chase bank work? It's basically like Paypal-ing but no fees associated. Maybe other banks have a similar plan.

No sweat guys! Glad to help out :)

as I said in that previous post - this might be a check payment order due to several factors since paypal has been up our arses.

this is the most recent estimate:

CidahMastah $209.23
Buffalo Brewer $487.48
Bierhaus15 $47.35
Jhenderson27 $89.19
Copyright1997 $176.81
CBK $121.28
rustbucket $241.17
twogunz $171.70
drocu $129.29
stunsm $153.39
Jeffb418 $246.67
jbsengineer $160.83
Smashing $70.64
Mparsons327 $210.10

jhenderson27 said:
I think it was 2gunz and i but if he wants it all ill bail out. This is 50/50 1/3 brown split.

I'm good splitting it still, just adding it to my inventory.

Regarding the paypal questions, the issue isn't that the paypal system won't support passing the money around without charges it's that paypal contacted Cidah last time and is claiming our group buy is a commercial transaction and should be charged a fee, regardless of whether people use a bank or credit card. Cidah, being the rock and roller that he is, is fighting the system, pushing back on the man. Viva la revolution!

I'm good splitting it still, just adding it to my inventory.

Regarding the paypal questions, the issue isn't that the paypal system won't support passing the money around without charges it's that paypal contacted Cidah last time and is claiming our group buy is a commercial transaction and should be charged a fee, regardless of whether people use a bank or credit card. Cidah, being the rock and roller that he is, is fighting the system, pushing back on the man. Viva la revolution!

Haha WORD!!!! Yeah i probably should have spelled it out a little better for the guys...:rockin:

so I am splitting the brown in half with jhenderson and you then - will get to that.

Also more concerning than them shutting down my account or similar; they might freeze up the funds in paypal for 1-6months as jeffb418 mentioned. That would suck for the grain buy....

No sweat guys! Glad to help out :)

as I said in that previous post - this might be a check payment order due to several factors since paypal has been up our arses.

this is the most recent estimate:

CidahMastah $209.23
Buffalo Brewer $487.48
Bierhaus15 $47.35
Jhenderson27 $89.19
Copyright1997 $176.81
CBK $121.28
rustbucket $241.17
twogunz $171.70
drocu $129.29
stunsm $153.39
Jeffb418 $246.67
jbsengineer $160.83
Smashing $70.64
Mparsons327 $210.10

Since I want to a) get over $200 and b) beat Cidah, isn't there anyone out there that would like to complete some of these splits of mine still outstanding? Especially the flaked rice (GP-FLRCE) (even though that equally "helps" Cidah) as I can't brew crap 3 grain (barley, rice, corn) without the rice!

How could anyone NOT want some great Wheat beers?
1. CM-WHET - 1/3 (Copyright1997, JeffB418) - needs 1
How could anyone NOT want some great Rye beers?
6. CM-RYEM - 1/3 (twogunz, copyright1977) - needs 1
How could anyone NOT want some...well, never mind.
7. GP‐FLRCE 1/4 (Copyright1977, jhenderson, cidahmastah) - needs 1

i might get on the rye, due to wasting the last bucket i had... so let me ponder over it the next couple days. maybe the flaked rice too...

where is the rice in the catalog?

i might get on the rye, due to wasting the last bucket i had... so let me ponder over it the next couple days. maybe the flaked rice too...

where is the rice in the catalog?

as jeffb pointed out to me- the GP-RICE is double listed in the catalog for both flaked rice and rice hulls. I put in GP-FLRCE to remind myself to point this out when we order, so we don't get rice hulls. Looke where the GP flaked and raw grains section is. rust, I would split the last 1/3 share of the rye with you if you are on the fence for the full 1/3.

Back