Got bored....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintocb

Reaction score
And put EC118 (I think) in a gallon of organic pineapple/coconut drink. The only thing that made me pause were the ingredients: Has several natural gums to up the viscosity, and sodium amalgamate. Couldn't see anything online that made me want to not do it. Its bubbling away like crazy. No way to check the gravity, the gum makes the stuff too gooey. I'll post what its like when I'm done.

Hmm, I bet its nothing like a pina colada. :D I have heard that acidic juices like orange turn pretty bad when fermented. I am not sure if Pineapple will be the same, hope it turns out for you, let us know.

I've heard that as well. That's why I just did a gallon. I like trying this odd stuff. I fermented some natural lemonade this summer. It was the most awful craipshaith I've ever consumed.

I did lime this year and after putting it bak into fermentation twice and now it is awesome. Brother in law made orange that sucks 3 years ago. hell if it turns out make more. I would have used 71b 1122 it will take out some of acid when it ferments

I'll look for some. My LHBS is much more wine oriented, so I'm not sure if that will increase or decrease the chances.

I would also suggest stabilizing it and then backsweetening....

Consider that most Store Fruit Juice is *Very* acidic and very heavily loaded with Sugar... Remove (Ferment) the sugar and it tastes like battery acid with a fruity nose.

Back sweeten it some and it kinda knocks the edge back off and makes it drinkable again... brings back out the the fruit flavors, etc.

Tell us how it comes out.

John

"I have heard that acidic juices like orange turn pretty bad when fermented. "

The Campbell soup of wines, Thunderbird: orange wine + caramel colouring.

I did lime this year and after putting it bak into fermentation twice and now it is awesome. Brother in law made orange that sucks 3 years ago. hell if it turns out make more. I would have used 71b 1122 it will take out some of acid when it ferments

mmadmikes: I too made a Lime Wine this year, and it is aging right now. It smelled God-awful during the first few weeks. I had never flown the "Infected Beer/Wine" flag, but I was really starting to think after about 2 weeks that it could have been (film on the top and the smell was putrid at best). Yet, after a few months it has really come into its own. The acidity is a little strong; however, it has only been sitting about 2-3 months (IIRC), and I still have a little tweaking to do :) If you don't mind could you post, or PM your receipe to me; I would like to see what you used and did (if you still have it).

With that said, to keep on topic with the OP's post. Heck, give it a go and tell us how it turns out. I see no reason why you couldn't make orange wine, and if you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe Mr. Keller: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques33.asp

If I had to take a guess, I would presume the reason so many people may have it turn out crappy is because
Jack Keller said:
peel the oranges and remove all the white pith (it is bitter and will ruin the wine)--emphasis added

First time I put way to much fresh Lime just in and acid was so high I added baking soda to get it ferment. SG was 1.095. t tasted like ass after .099 and backsweeting didn't help. dumped it all back into primary bucket and added some chardonnay juice I had left over to it, added sugar back to 1.08 and added champagne yeast and it went back to work , Well at 99 it wast to bad and I was thinking this was as good as It would get stabilized it and corked and moved under pantry for aging. after 4 weeks it had new sediment and blow the stopper. O ya forgot I sterile filtered it. It was carbonated. Racked it off, hooked up vacuum and degassed.Added more sulfate and air locked it this time. O ya added white grape concentrate undiluted. sure as **** it started fermenting again.let it run and when it finished I racked again , degassed again stabilized again and finally bottled last month. It has strong lime taste still but not over powering and is tasty. All because limes were on sale dirt cheap. BTW I hardly ever do anything the same twice so the idea of a recipe never really works for me

Excellent, thanks for posting. I just did fresh limes, grape juice, yeast nutrient, and I think about 3 pounds of sugar. I don't recall what yeast I used.

Back