Citra Pale Ale and Late DME/LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I'm very new to homebrewing, but I'm going to attempt to brew a Citra Pale Ale. I can post the exact recipe later, but my question may be able to be answered without the recipe.

I've been reading a lot on adding some malt extract to the end of the boil instead of all at once in the beginning (especially for light colored beers like IPAs/Pale Ales). I have a few questions regarding this process.

1. I'm using DME and LME in this recipe. Which one do I add late in the boil?

2. Should I add the late extract at flameout or 15 mins? Or another time?

3. How much should I save for late in the boil? Go half and half? 25% at the start and 75% late?

If it is any use, I have 5 oz of Citra pellets (to be added throughout the boil) and 3 oz of Citra leaf hops for dry hopping.

Thanks for the help. I know there is a lot of information in these forums regarding this, but I couldn't quite find the answer to these specific questions.

i only use DME in my ales now. but i used to do the LME first then more of the LME and DME at the end 5min or at flameout... 25% at the begining then add the other at the end of boil..5 0z seems like a lot for a pale ale depending on your grain bill..even one ounce at 60 packs a punch...but again depends on your recipe...

good luck man post updates when youre done :)

I generally add 25% of extract at 60min then 75% at flameout and stir like crazy to make sure it gets mixed in.

Well I mean not to make I bubble. Just to make sure it dosent stick. I've never had any problems or oxidization.

What do you guys think of this recipe? (I modified the original). Im going to do a 3gal concentrated boil.

Fermentables:
3 lbs Golden Light Dry Malt Extract (60 min)
3.3 lbs Golden Light Liquid Malt Extract (15 min)

Specialty Grain:
1 lb Weyermann Munich 1
0.75 lb Briess Caramel 20

Hops:
1oz Citra (60 min)
1oz Citra (30 min)
1oz Citra (10 min)
1oz Citra (5 min)
1oz Citra (1 min)
3oz Citra (dry hopped)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

I'm not sure what the estimated OG and FG are (I don't have BeerSmith up and running). I want the alcohol to be around 5-6% and IBU around 60.

At a glance, your hop additions look like more than 60 ibu. Did you run this through any recipe calculators?

Yea I ran it through last night after I posted the recipe. I think I'll change the schedule to something along the lines of:

3lb Golden Light DME at 60 mins
0.5oz at 60 min
3.3lb Golden Light LME at 15 mins
1oz at 15
1oz at 10
1oz at 5
1oz at 1

Thoughts?

Add 2lbs of the DME to the wort from the grain steep for the one hour boil. When the wort gets past the hot break & boils,add bittering addition. I'd do 1oz at 20,10 & 3 monutes left. Save the rest for another time,save for an ounce or so dry hop. Add the remaining DME & LME quickly at flame out. I do this,& get lighter color & cleaner flavor. Since the wort is still boiling hot at flame out,& pasteurization happens about 160F,you'll be fine with flame out late additions.

What are your thoughts on this?

Specialty Grain:
1 lb Weyermann Munich 1
0.75 lb Briess Caramel 20

60 min:
2 lbs Golden Light Dry Malt Extract
0.5 oz Citra

15 mins:
1 lb lbsGolden Light Dry Malt Extract
3.3 lbs Golden Light Liquid Malt Extract
1 oz Citra

5 mins:
1 oz Citra

1 min:
1 oz Citra

Dry hop:
3 oz Citra

Est OG: 1.053
IBU: 61.3
Color: 6.5
Est ABV: 5.3
Est FG: 10.013

braineater2448 said:
Anyone have any thoughts on the recipe and schedule above?

Looks good. I'd still call it an ipa. Not that it matters. If you want a pale ale I'd cut that 60 min bittering down.

6.5 oz. of hops is a LOT. I did a Maris Otter/Simcoe SMaSH with 5 oz. once (2 0z. dryhop) and I wish I had cut the hops back a bit. You don't need 3 oz. for the dryhop.

What are your thoughts on this?

15 mins:
1 lb lbsGolden Light Dry Malt Extract
3.3 lbs Golden Light Liquid Malt Extract
1 oz Citra

When anyone adds DME or LME the boil stops.
Does the timer stop too?
Say the temp. drops to 200F - hops are still being integrated into the wort, just not as effectively.
This will drive IBU up fractionally right?
My many question is do you guys stop the timer or let it keep running?

Does the timer stop too?
Say the temp. drops to 200F - hops are still being integrated into the wort, just not as effectively.

Good question. I'm curious to know how people handle this.

That question is why I moved any late extract additions to flameout, so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

That's what I do with my PM beers. The grain wort makes up some 50% of the fermentables,so I use that for hop additions,saving the late additions for flame out. stir in well,cover & steep a couple minutes to pasteurize. since it's still boiling hot & pasteurization happens about 160F,it works well.

Does the timer stop too?

I stopped the timer. Took about 5-7 minutes to get the boil going again. I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do, but I've heard it doens't really matter too much.

I'll be dry hopping this batch this weekend hopefully. Will give you all updates on its progress.

Back