Efficiency Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing how you hit your post-boil gravity, I think the preboil measurement was an inaccurate reading. Did you stir everything in the boil kettle really well before taking a measurement? What are you measuring with? What was the temperature when you measured?

Seeing how you hit your post-boil gravity, I think the preboil measurement was an inaccurate reading. Did you stir everything in the boil kettle really well before taking a measurement? What are you measuring with? What was the temperature when you measured?

You're probably right. It was eyeballed based on markings that I made on the Kettle. I did not stir and not sure of the temps...Maybe 120ish.

That was my 2nd AG batch and I'm just getting into figuring out how to measure effieciency.

Stirring after all your runnings is important since there can be "layers" of gravity in the kettle (high gravity runnings in the beginning and lower gravity towards the end). Temperature is also key when measuring with a hydrometer, most are calibrated around 60F.

Welcome to all grain!

If you're not sure of the temp, how did you measure your pre-boil SG?

Stuck the hydrometer in a test sample from the runnings in the BK.

I was, am, unaware that temps impacted Hydro readings. Is there a calculator somewhere? What temp do I need to be to accurately check my preboil gravity?

Stirring the running smakes perfect sense. I'l be sure to do that on my next batch.

Stirring after all your runnings is important since there can be "layers" of gravity in the kettle (high gravity runnings in the beginning and lower gravity towards the end). Temperature is also key when measuring with a hydrometer, most are calibrated around 60F.

Welcome to all grain!

Oops - Missed the 60* comment. So basically after I collect the runnings, stir the wort - Collect a sample and allow it to cool before checking my SG? Makes sense.

Exactly. Stir for a few minutes after everything is collected and take your sample. While you get use to AG, I recommend taking that sample and chilling it down (stir it while it's in an ice bath in the sink) while your wort gets to a boil so you can see if you hit or missed your gravity. This will allow you to start dialing in your systems efficiency and make adjustments to your hop schedule if your low or add more water if your high on the gravity, etc.

Exactly. Stir for a few minutes after everything is collected and take your sample. While you get use to AG, I recommend taking that sample and chilling it down (stir it while it's in an ice bath in the sink) while your wort gets to a boil so you can see if you hit or missed your gravity. This will allow you to start dialing in your systems efficiency and make adjustments to your hop schedule if your low or add more water if your high on the gravity, etc.

Good advice. Thanks. I've got recipes en route form AHS so I'll be sure to add this to my process.

Back