Hop Sludge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iggy_fenton

Reaction score
My English Pale Ale has been sitting in the fermenter for about 6 days now and I'm really begining to wonder about something. I used hop pellets which created a sludge on the bottome of my brew pot. I used a strainer in my funnel when transfering to the carboy (which plugged up a couple times) but there was still a good amount of the hop sludge that made it through into the carboy. Now this hop sludge is sitting on the bottom along with the rest of the trub. Will this affect the flavor adversely? Is there a better way to keep this out of my fermentor? Thanks!

It's fine. The pellets make it just about impossible to strain it all out. You can try putting them in a nylon bag in the boil. The trub at the bottom is fine. Just try to leave as much of it as possible behind when racking.

Not a problem. Everything that would change the flavor of the batch did it in the boil.

Back