Moving primary for bottling..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
My beer has been in the primary for a little over 2 weeks now, I have consistant readings. I am going to bottle on Sunday, and my question is this. When moving your primary to your bottling location (mineb from my closet to the kitchen) you will stir up some yeast and trub. How long do you let it settle after moving? I was thinking about moving it over Saturday night, letting it settle over night then bottling in the morning. The reason I am asking is my brother in law bottle last night (I helped) and his was in the primary for 10 days. When we got to the bottom of the primary, it was very cloudy and we lost about half a gallon of gold due to the yeast stirring up.

Howdy Neighbor,

What do you use as a primary? A plastic bucket with spigot? Or you have another bucket for bottling purpose? Like you describe, you can move your bucket ahead of time to give enough time for the yeast to settle down. Rack the beer into bottle bucket with cane or autosiphon. You should be able to eliminate most of the trub and visible yeast.... You may want to tilt your bucket to get most of the juice out of the primary.
I never had issues if I do it this way.

enjoy..

AH!!! Its nice to see another North Texan brewer!!! I used a 6.5 gallon bucket for primary, I also have a 5 gallon better bottle at hand if needed for "clearing". I am planning on syphoning into a bottling bucket then going into bottles from there. You think 12 hours is enough time for the trub to settle back down?

Yeah, I think 12 hours is enough. I brew my first batch with Mr Beer kit. It is a primary and serve as a bottling container too... lots of trubs for sure during my bottling, but it all settled out after you bottle/condition. The key is not to swirl the yeast when you pour into your beer glass... I did it once for fun and treat it like a hefe by swirling last 4 oz of beer... Man, those yeast/trub tastes awful for a pale ale.

You don't need the clearing unless you want to move to secondary for 1-2 weeks. It usually clear up really well. For your amber, if you decide to bottle on Sunday. Let it age for 2+ weeks. It'll taste better and better as you wait for it to get mature.

Where do you shop for your brew stuff? Is there a LHBS at Denton?

I usually let mine sit for several days, but that's more because I like to ramp up the temperature into the mid to upper 70s before bottling, and just letting it sit on the counter under a towel is the best way to achieve that. A couple of hours should be plenty to let the sediment and most of the fine particulates settle back down.

I don't bother to let it settle at all usually; however, I am fairly careful when carrying the fermenter to the "racking table". I just rack, leaving as much of the yeast as possible in the bottom of the bucket.

But, IMHO it really doesn't matter if you get a little bit of yeast in the bottling bucket? You're just going to create even more yeast when bottle conditioning. Call me lazy I guess.

If I were dry hopping I would probably let it settle for maybe 15 or 20 minutes though.

Yeah, I think 12 hours is enough. I brew my first batch with Mr Beer kit. It is a primary and serve as a bottling container too... lots of trubs for sure during my bottling, but it all settled out after you bottle/condition. The key is not to swirl the yeast when you pour into your beer glass... I did it once for fun and treat it like a hefe by swirling last 4 oz of beer... Man, those yeast/trub tastes awful for a pale ale.

You don't need the clearing unless you want to move to secondary for 1-2 weeks. It usually clear up really well. For your amber, if you decide to bottle on Sunday. Let it age for 2+ weeks. It'll taste better and better as you wait for it to get mature.

Where do you shop for your brew stuff? Is there a LHBS at Denton?

The only place I have found here in N. Texas is "Homebrew Headquarters" off Coit in Carrollton. You know of any others?

Yeah,using a dark tee shirt is fine. But,as you get older,you start thinking about as little moving/lifting as possible. So,when we re-arranged the comp hutch to put the printer on it,I got t use this for storage/fermenter stand;
http://
I just set the bottling bucket on the floor under the fermenter & Attach the racking tube to the spigot & down around the bottom of the bottling bucket. Prime while racking,then set the bottling bucket on top of the stand. Attach the bottling wand/tube & bottle away. I have a video on youtube showing my set up.

I always let mine settle over night. My fermenting freezer is outside under the back deck. So I have to lift it out of the freezer, and carry it around the house, up the front stairs and into the kitchen where I bottle. So just to keep the trub down I move it the night before I bottle. Last stout was in fermenter 4 weeks and the trub was nice and jelly like when I siphoned to the bottling bucket.

Back