I went bananas on my first batch - literally...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMcManaway

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I didn't judge the temps of my closet very well and the first few days of my fermentation were too high. After a few weeks in bottles, I tasted what should have been an Irish Stout and ended up being what I have decided to call, "Top O' the Banana Irish Stout". It sucks. It's undrinkable.

BUT - I have no fear. As I've heard many a seasoned brewer say, "Time heals all wounds." I'm going to stash these bottles away for a few months and see what happens. I may pull them back out in December and see if the banana taste has gone away. If not, then April, then August, then...whenever.

My second batch is already in its second week of fermentation (an English Brown Ale) an I'm so much more confident with this batch. I've kept temperatures just right, etc.

I wanted to post this as an encouragement to anyone who just brewed their first batch and it came out less than perfect. This forum has provided more information than I could ever hope for, but that first brew really was an education. I learned so much from my mistakes that I'm sure the next brew is going to come out great. :ban:

Marvellous! :mug:

I screwed up my first batch in exactly the same way - it was vile! Welcome to the club. Hope you have better luck with your first batch - mine didn't get much better with time, though thanks to everyone on here, every batch I've made since has been better than the one before.

Back