ale temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je52rm

Reaction score
Once the main part of fermentation is complete (first 5-7 days) how important is it to maintain a good fermentation temperature (66-70 degrees for ale) after that point? Is it gonna affect the final product if after fermentation slows that temps get a bit over/under the recommended side hotter or colder?

The first few days are the most important. Afterwards, if it gets a bit over 70 or a bit below 66, it is fine. I'd rather lower than higher though.

If it gets lower, that could cause a high FG, as the yeasties could be put to sleep. Better for temps to be flat to slightly up, if at all possible.

If it gets lower, that could cause a high FG, as the yeasties could be put to sleep. Better for temps to be flat to slightly up, if at all possible.

Not really. He said they'd go down a "bit." If by "bit," he means a couple of degrees, then no, they are not going to go to sleep. Most ale yeasts (I don't know his strain) work well in the 60s, and the fermentation always adds a few degrees anyways for a bit of insurance.

Most of the time I would rather the temperatures be a little on the high side after fermentation completes. This helps the yeast stay active and clean up fermentation by products and attenuate the beer just a little more. An exception might be something a little sweet like a mild.

Most of the time I would rather the temperatures be a little on the high side after fermentation completes. This helps the yeast stay active and clean up fermentation by products and attenuate the beer just a little more. An exception might be something dark and sweet like a douplebock.

Really? He is at 66-70 now. After 5 days, fermentation is likely still going on. You'd prefer him to be at ~72 after 5 days than ~64? With fermentation likely still going on, the ~64 ambient is going to be more like ~69 in the fermenter, and the ~72 ambient is going to be more like ~77 in the fermenter. After 10 days or 14 days, then yes definitely, but I'm not sure ~77 is great on day 6 and thereafter. At least in my experience..

Really? He is at 66-70 now. After 5 days, fermentation is likely still going on. You'd prefer him to be at ~72 after 5 days than ~64? With fermentation likely still going on, the ~64 ambient is going to be more like ~69 in the fermenter, and the ~72 ambient is going to be more like ~77 in the fermenter. After 10 days or 14 days, then yes definitely, but I'm not sure ~77 is great on day 6 and thereafter. At least in my experience..

What I'm trying to express, albeit poorly, is two fold. First temperature fluctuation has in impact on the yeast regardless of if the change is up or down. Second whether to age the beer slightly warmer for a period of time after fermentation completes or at a lower temperature is very dependant on the situation.

You have a lot of good points. Fermentation temperature, during the exponential growth phase, is typically higher than ambient air conditions. However the exponential phase ends about the same time that the gravity of the beer stops dropping. At that point the temperature inside the fermentor will be very close to the ambient air temperature. So we are talking about rather high fermentation temperatures, but not quite as high as you have indicated.

Almost no beers will benefit from long term ageing at 72°F, but, given the choice of cooling or heating after a warm fermentation that likely produced some unwanted byproducts, I would choose a warm period for a couple of days to promote clean up (absorption of byproducts) by the yeast. However, if the beer doesn't taste to terribly green then cooling it might be the best choice.

What I'm trying to express, albeit poorly, is two fold. First temperature fluctuation has in impact on the yeast regardless of if the change is up or down. Second whether to age the beer slightly warmer for a period of time after fermentation completes or at a lower temperature is very dependant on the situation.

You have a lot of good points. Fermentation temperature, during the exponential growth phase, is typically higher than ambient air conditions. However the exponential phase ends about the same time that the gravity of the beer stops dropping. At that point the temperature inside the fermentor will be very close to the ambient air temperature. So we are talking about rather high fermentation temperatures, but not quite as high as you have indicated.

Almost no beers will benefit from long term ageing at 72°F, but, given the choice of cooling or heating after a warm fermentation that likely produced some unwanted byproducts, I would choose a warm period for a couple of days to promote clean up (absorption of byproducts) by the yeast. However, if the beer doesn't taste to terribly green then cooling it might be the best choice.

I agree with everything you said, and generally speaking, it is good advice. I was replying specifically to the OP's situation. I'd be surprised if the gravity had already stopped dropping at 5 days.

Hmm... We seem to have started with contrary basic assumptions.

I would be surprised if he isn't at final gravity after 5 days in the upper sixties. Unless he drastically under pitched or didn't aerate.

I used fermentis safale-04 English ale yeast without a starter. It is a pretty fast fermenting yeast and at 5 Days in the fermentation has slowed big-time. By no means am I saying that it is done fermenting but the temperature has leveled off and is pretty much the same as the room air temperature. Here in Florida this time of year we are in the 80's one day and a few days later could be down in the 30's-40's. Crazy temperature swings

S-04 works very fast, you should be fine. However, implementing some type of temperature control will make a huge difference in the quality of your finished beers. Especially with swings like that! A lot of people don't like the flavors S-04 produces when it gets too

All the advice in this thread has been great, but I'll just add that some Belgian yeast strains are known for taking a while to finish fermenting, and meanwhile they can flocc out or stall if you don't keep them warm. So the general rule for those is to start ramping the temperature up after a day or two, then keep them warm for a couple weeks.

Back