safale Us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
Is one packet of this yeast enough to ferment 10 gallons of a light pale ale. Approx 5%? I could do a starter and pitch tomorrow but would rather pitch tonight.

Lol nope. Guess I'm doing a starter and pitching tomorrow... Brew store is too far away.

Assume 10 gallons of IPA, you need 350B cells or so for a 1.050 beer (according to MrMalty).

Assuming your other yeast is an American Ale yeast, if you pitch the US-05 (~200B) as well as the vial of whatever liquid yeast you have (~100B), you're close enough to probably be just fine.

if anything could do it, one pack of us-05 could. I bet you get the same results pitching one pack of safale on 10 gallons that you would get piching one packet of unstarted wyeast on 5.

Assume 10 gallons of IPA, you need 350B cells or so for a 1.050 beer (according to MrMalty).

Assuming your other yeast is an American Ale yeast, if you pitch the US-05 (~200B) as well as the vial of whatever liquid yeast you have (~100B), you're close enough to probably be just fine.

I think he means he's going to make a starter with the 05. For ten gallons I'd probably split the packet in half and make two separate starters. Or else one fairly large one.

Made one 3 liter 1.045 starter. It's on stir plate now. Should be sufficient I think. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back