I really want to be cool like all you BBQ guys.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I've messed with a simple combo of apple cider vinegar, a little kechup, and light brown sugar just to moisten up a sandwich. It didn't need much more because I started with a pretty spicy dry rub and the smoke is really what I want to taste.

Sometimes I'll use this recipe for a finishing sauce. It's pretty good. I'm with you, though, I want to taste the smoky meat.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/49892/finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork

Seriously, I can see myself getting obsessed with BBQ as much as I am with brewing. My wife is going to kill me.

Hobbies with benefits.:D

You'll get the hang of it Bobby, and remember there's no single right way to do everything.

I hear you about the obsession aspect too. This fall I'm planning on building wireless temperature probes to monitor the smoker and meat temps, just because I can. I know you can buy them, but I've had mixed results (probe failed). Plus, I'm a nerd that wants to graph everything.

+1 on the Weber Smokey Mountain, AZ_IPA... That is one nice smoker!

So far I've messed with a simple combo of apple cider vinegar, a little kechup, and light brown sugar just to moisten up a sandwich. It didn't need much more because I started with a pretty spicy dry rub and the smoke is really what I want to taste.

Seriously, I can see myself getting obsessed with BBQ as much as I am with brewing. My wife is going to kill me.

ehh. I kick off the smoker on brew day. Brew day is pretty long anyway..

And you should be good with your 16 guage. No need for the 1/4 on your smoker, that's a bit overkill.

Hang in Bobby, it's like brewing the more you do it the better it gets....once the smoke gets in your blood it's like a disease. And congratulation on your first deal with the dreaded 160* Plateau. Pork shoulder and butts all do this (picnic shoulder are the worst) sometimes it takes just a few hours other times it takes a crap load of hours but once you bust through that temp it's breeze.
The old geezer that taught me how to smoke said it like this: "Every damn shoulder is an adeventure, same with briskets."

Now I'm hungery, I'll have to do some smoking this Saturday while I brew up my stout..."BBQ and Beer thar ain't nuttin betta!"

I've had my smoker for about four years, but due to living in apartments, it's gotten limited use until now. I'm still working on temp control. But, for whatever reason pork butt/brisket, which are supposed to be cheap meat, are expensive up here. And don't expect to find anything in the 10-13 pound range. But I'm learning.

There is nothing quite like that feeling of relief you get when your pork butt breaks through the 160F barrier. I smoke in an old stainless steel army field oven made by the Coleman Company in 1952 (stamped on the back). It has 5 racks, holds plenty of meat, and holds a pretty steady 225F with charcoal/wood once the meat starts warming up. 225F is a great temp for smoking.

I am old and lazy. I will do the charcoal/wood for long enough to do a turkey or ribs, but for anything longer, like pork butts, I will pull out the charcoal tray after a few hours and replace it with a single propane burner. Once the propane is holding at the right temp I can just forget about it until the meat is done.

Back