Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to sub c-120, so mine is not as red. Also the honey is very pronounced. Hope it disappears.

Beer and crabs were meant for each other!

In my beer I put the honey straight into the fermenter with the cooled wort. The honey was very pronounced at sample readings, but by the time bottle conditioning was done, it was barely an undertone and most people couldn't taste it.

I used 1 lb of orange blossom honey (again, straight in with cooled wort, did not boil it). It was factory sealed so I wasn't worried about contamination.

I boiled a lb of generic honey. It's starting to dissipate and getting better.

Beer and crabs were meant for each other!

1 lb. Local wildflower honey added at the end of the boil and 2 days in the primary.

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

I brewed this on Sunday and while I was preparing my hops no realized I had no honey. So, it'll be 1 point lower ABV this time around.

I'm happy to leave it just as it is as an experiment, I don't need a high ABV so long as the flavor is there.

Does this have any hopiness in it? Seems to be a little light on the hops.

as per the style, hop aroma and flavor should be neutral. that said, I made it a little hoppier than the style guidelines.

Me also. My gravity came in at .002 below target, and my IBU upped to 30 tinseth

Im re brewing this probably this weekend due to the high mash temp and it was missing a half a pound of grains.I think i might use some Mosaic or Eldarado hops though.

I brewed this as my first beer after a 4 year hiatus. Just tapped the keg this evening and it's fantastic. Beautiful color and just full of clean malt flavor and the slightest hop character. Makes me real happy to enjoy a homebrew and watch the Masters! Thanks for a great recipe.

I brewed this as my first beer after a 4 year hiatus. Just tapped the keg this evening and it's fantastic. Beautiful color and just full of clean malt flavor and the slightest hop character. Makes me real happy to enjoy a homebrew and watch the Masters! Thanks for a great recipe.

glad you you liked it!

Even though I messed my mash up with high temps and forgot about half a pound of grains my club loved it and told me to not mess with my error and keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

not sure i already posted this but i rebrewed your reciepe and wow!! my second batch is much better than the first. this will be always on draft .. wait i mean in bottles .. cheers

Day 10 in my primary and still air lock activity. Longer than my standard brews, which usually slow by 5 days. The Honey has a reputation as a slower fermenter, in my experience with cysers and meads..... Smells really good....

And what volumes of bottle carbonation does anyone recommend for this?

Thanks. Day 11, took my first reading, SG 1.006 (OG 1.056), ABV 6.56 %. Very nice taste, malty, tad of honey residual, will be very good carbed, aged, and chilled.... For some reason I have been getting super attenuation with the WLP001 ale yeast.

I'm having trouble getting this to carb. I kegged and been for two weeks psi 20 still under carbed

I'm having trouble getting this to carb. I kegged and been for two weeks psi 20 still under carbed

what temp? also try shaking the crap out of the keg... you should hear CO2 flowing as you shake. stop shaking when the CO2 does flow anymore

btw.. I carb it at serving temp.

Check.... Still under carbed. Never had this prob before

Ya I shook it a few times. It's carbed a little but not much at all. I bottled one and took it to my local store and they agree it's under carbed and at the point I don't understand why or how

Even poured it at 10psi instead of 3 or 4 like normal

Day 13 and still have some airlock activity - this honey doesn't want to quit. I really don't want it to go any drier.

Just brewed again since everyone loves it this time I did it right but added some el dorado about .25 to preboil and .75 at 5 min and added more honey.
My OG is 164 so let's see in prob 3 wks or so

Ya just 1oz total split up. To add a little more of a kick/flavor and aroma

Day 14 and SG still the same from 3 days ago, so I am going to bottle in the next day or so.... Don't know what the gassing is, but the gravity has finished..... Tastes great....

Day 14 and SG still the same from 3 days ago, so I am going to bottle in the next day or so.... Don't know what the gassing is, but the gravity has finished..... Tastes great....

there can be CO2 in solution.. nothing to worry about and this is a prime example of why airlock activity isn't a goo indicator of fermentation taking place. Now, personally, I leave it in primary for 4 weeks so it can clean up and drop clear but if its done its done... bottle and enjoy :)

OK so, I brewed this recipe back in January, kind of in a rush to get it ready for the local St. Patrick's party. It was definitely a hit, although I wasn't completely happy at first - too fruity I thought. But as time has gone on it has gotten better and better.

One thing I did differently, was I mixed up the yeast (I know I'm not the only one!) and used WLP011 instead of the intended Wy1318.

I'll definitely be making this again.

Cheers!

OK so, I brewed this recipe back in January, kind of in a rush to get it ready for the local St. Patrick's party. It was definitely a hit, although I wasn't completely happy at first - too fruity I thought. But as time has gone on it has gotten better and better.

One thing I did differently, was I mixed up the yeast (I know I'm not the only one!) and used WLP011 instead of the intended Wy1318.

I'll definitely be making this again.

Cheers!

WLP001 is what I originally used for this... US-05 is what I use now... liquid yeast has gotten way to expensive

WLP001 is what I originally used for this... US-05 is what I use now... liquid yeast has gotten way to expensive

I bottled my Raging Red last Wednesday at 1.005, much drier than the recipe called for. But a sip of flat beer was quite tasty and drinkable. I'm going to cheat and open a bottle at 8 days. My experience with the WLP001 in every batch I have made is super attenuation -- 85 +. I may give S-05 a try.

I just cheated and chilled and opened a bottle after 7 days. Fine beer. Very fine. Exceptional, as is. Good malty wholesomeness. Will brew again.

This is on the deck to brew either Sunday or Monday! I read the entire thread so far and I am looking forward to seeing this one when it hits the tap. Thanks for a great recipe!!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Got batch 2 now in fermentor for3 weeks leaving it for one more. Added some more honey hoping to boost a little more abv and some hops at 5 min to add a twist.

Brewed this yesterday for brew day, had to work all day so only began right after dinner, all went smooth except I end up with only 5 gallons in the fermenter ( new single tier rig, was first time using) pitched yeast at 11:55pm, so I guess it still count for brew day!

Back