Found 5Gal Water Bottles at Recycle Center

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
Hi all. I picked up 5 5 gallon water bottles from my local recycle center today. They the kind that the water cooler delivery people use. They are fairy dirty.

Is this brewing treasure or trash? I didn't know if this is similar to what some people call better bottles and use for brewing. What is the best way to clean them if they are pretty dirty? How would you attach a blow off tube to them? Thanks.

Check the bottom. In a little triangle it should have a number that tells you what kind of plastic it is. "1" is good. "2" is ok. "7" can be bad.

How would you attach a blow off tube to them?

Get a rubber stopper that fits the carboy, and a short length of hard plastic tube, like from a racking cane. drill a hole in the stopper maybe a milimeter smaller than the tube, and shove the tube in. Or some people find tube with an outside diameter the perfect size to fit inside the carboy neck.

Well they are all marked #7. So much for that.

Oh well. At least the days wasn't a total loss. My 2 for 1 glasses from New Belgium Brewing came in today.

it looks like as long as your aren't pregnant, you should be safe, but then again, better safe than sorry

well, you shouldn't be drinking beer if your pregnant anyway.
i still wouldn't use them though.

Back