Does this seem clean enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdwmonster

Reaction score
Working on my second batch and I have a question about bottle cleanliness.

For the first batch, I washed all 50 bottles, then sanitized, and then filled. Washing all 50 at once seemed like a PITA, so I decided that I would wash them as I emptied them (or after 6 or so pilled up on the counter and my wife got mad at me).

If I wash them, then store them in a dry, covered box can I just rinse them, sanitize them and fill them, or do I really need to rewash them first?

Rinse them with hot water immediately after use so nothing sticks inside. Then cleaning them and putting them away till use is fine. When I bottled I stored them upside down in the box so they would drain and keep bugs from making a home.

If I wash them, then store them in a dry, covered box can I just rinse them, sanitize them and fill them

That's what I do. I use a jet carboy/bottle washer and hot water for the rinse.

If I'm really ambitious, I'll cover the opening of the bottle with a small square of aluminum foil after the initial washing, but that rarely happens.

I never washed a bottle in my life. As soon as I finished a bottle, I rinsed it very well 3-4 times by filling it, turning upside down and shaking and put it away. When it was time to use, I would put in dishwasher (without soap) on the sanitize cycle. That's it... never had an infected bottle.

Back