Blue Digital temperature gauge for Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I have seen a few pictures of guys with what looks to be a blue Digital temperature gauge right in the collar of their Keezer?

I have been looking all over for one of these?
I've called probably three brew supply places and they don't have any or know where I can get one...

Does anybody know where I can find a blue or red Digital temperature gage to install in the collar of my Keezer?

Raven1469 said:

No that's not it... I think what you showed me is an actual controller..

When I say blue I mean the actual digital readout is a blue LED... And the unit is very small. guys actually cut a square in their collar of their Keezer and put it in...

I've seen several keezer builds here using a love temp controller with a blue LED display. My guess is that's what you saw. Many of them used to come in your choice of red or blue readout, but it looks like most of them are only available in red now. Here's one that's still available in blue-

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Temperature/TemperatureSwitches/DigitalPanelMount/SeriesTSX3/Ordering

If you just want a display and not a controller, there are a few out there in blue. Lots more choices in red.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=320-506

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...e_Backlight_TM02B.html?tl=g34c137&id=PzRR7Vko

JuanMoore said:
I've seen several keezer builds here using a love temp controller with a blue LED display. My guess is that's what you saw. Many of them used to come in your choice of red or blue readout, but it looks like most of them are only available in red now. Here's one that's still available in blue-

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Temperature/TemperatureSwitches/DigitalPanelMount/SeriesTSX3/Ordering

If you just want a display and not a controller, there are a few out there in blue. Lots more choices in red.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=320-506

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5392/tmp-34/Thermal-Star_Illuminated_Thermometer_-_Blue_Backlight_TM02B.html?tl=g34c137&id=PzRR7Vko

This is perfect! Thank you so much! I don't think I'm going to do the love controller, I think I'm going to choose one of the nine dollar LED temperature gauges... Which one do you think will be easier to install electrical-wise? One of them says it's ready to plug into a computer and the other one I think is just raw wires?

I have a friend who is going to help me but he is only a little bit savvy with electrical... I want to make his job easy...
Any ideas?

Badge, you are still going to need a controller. Is there a reason you want just the display and not just get a controller that has a nice display?

kegtoe said:
Badge, you are still going to need a controller. Is there a reason you want just the display and not just get a controller that has a nice display?

Well I haven't really thought about that... The guy at the homebrew shop said he had analog and digital and I think the digital he spoke of was the big blue unit that most guys have... Ugly ....
So my plan was just to buy that unit and put it on the back and buy that inexpensive $9.99 blue LED gauge and put it on the front of the collar...
It's just a probe and a power source so I figured it would be much easier then trying to install that controller love controller on the front of the collar.
It looked to me( on some videos I have seen on YouTube) that there was a lot of wiring involved with that process... I figured this way I simply bolt that other blue controller to the back of the Keezer and then just notch out the front of the collar for the blue LED temperature readout....
Whatcha think?

Well I haven't really thought about that... The guy at the homebrew shop said he had analog and digital and I think the digital he spoke of was the big blue unit that most guys have... Ugly ....
So my plan was just to buy that unit and put it on the back and buy that inexpensive $9.99 blue LED gauge and put it on the front of the collar...
It's just a probe and a power source so I figured it would be much easier then trying to install that controller love controller on the front of the collar.
It looked to me( on some videos I have seen on YouTube) that there was a lot of wiring involved with that process... I figured this way I simply bolt that other blue controller to the back of the Keezer and then just notch out the front of the collar for the blue LED temperature readout....
Whatcha think?

I'd just get a controller that you like the looks of and mount it in the collar where you want it. Wiring and routing the wires is easy, likely not much more difficult than wiring just the display. If you don't mind the red display, the e-bay aquarium controllers (STC-1000 and similar) are very cheap (~$20) and easy to wire. There's also plenty of how to's for those in the DIY forum here.

If you want the display, I second the advice for getting an STC-1000. They are very cheap and surprisingly easy to wire up. Even if you have almost no electrical knowledge or experience. I have one in the collar of my keezer and one in a project box controlling my ferm chamber and they work great.

If you really want the blue display going this route, you'll have to pony up for a Love. But in the end if you want to get a Johnson and put a temp reading display in the collar, go for it. It will still work just fine and look the way you want.

adamensis said:
If you want the display, I second the advice for getting an STC-1000. They are very cheap and surprisingly easy to wire up. Even if you have almost no electrical knowledge or experience. I have one in the collar of my keezer and one in a project box controlling my ferm chamber and they work great.

If you really want the blue display going this route, you'll have to pony up for a Love. But in the end if you want to get a Johnson and put a temp reading display in the collar, go for it. It will still work just fine and look the way you want.

Can you show a picture of your Keezer with the collar and the digital readout?

I disagree...
It is special.... It's very nice dude!

Ps I see the Perlick's too :)

When you're spending money on something like this, to me it's worth it to spend just a little more on Perlicks. Especially if you think you're just going to upgrade down the road. Never had a stuck tap once, even when I didn't pull from one of them for well over a month.

If you're feeling nervous about wiring up a controller, don't. Super easy. Plus there's endless help on these forums.

Have fun with it!

Back