Does cloudy apple juice clear up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRobrew

Reaction score
I started a batch of Apfelwein with some 100% apple juice that wasn't clear. I was wondering if it will clear with time (only been 2 weeks) or if you end up with the same cloudiness as you start with.

As long as your not moving it around you should basically see a demarcation line that separates the cloudy, yeast filled wine and the flocculated wine. All my batches have had this line that slowly recedes down the carboy for about a month. I had cloudy juice once and it didnt completely clear but it did get considerably clearer.

I made a cyser with unfiltered cider that was very cloudy. It cleared up brilliantly, however I did use pectin enzyme which have helped.

Craig

I agree. I've used some natural ciders that were as murky as mud, and with time got some brilliantly clear hard cider. Just like that "stuff" settles in the container (so you shake it up before serving), it'll settle in the carboy and you rack off of it.

I started a batch of Apfelwein with some 100% apple juice that wasn't clear. I was wondering if it will clear with time (only been 2 weeks) or if you end up with the same cloudiness as you start with.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/

From the recipe (first post in that thread)

It will become cloudy in a couple of days and remain so for a few weeks. In the 4th week, the yeast will begin to drop out and it will become clear. After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so. Racking to a secondary is not necessary.

Back