Female Homebrewers??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
BYO sent me their Jan. issue because I wanted to know how much placing a classified ad would be. The statistics sheet said 98% of their readers were male. I got to thinking I've never met a female home brewer. My wife drinks my home brew but doesn't give a flip about the process. I can't believe that figure is right though, only 2%? There a just a couple female members here but does anyone personally know any female home brewers?

There are one or two who post here. I can't think of their names right now though. One of them has a girl from South Park as her avatar. Sorry just can't remember her name.

I know five or six between the two clubs I'm in. I've even met a few of the pros, but they are rare. Even in the wine making community, women are few and far between. Odd, since beer and wine making was almost exclusively a female profession three hundred years ago.

Caplan said:
They only did the Nun routine at weekends.....
You know, this explains a lot about those catholic schools I went to. One of those nuns had a hell of a right cross. :D :D

We have at least a half dozen women in the club that brew beer along with some that do mead also. I believe one was the pres or vp of the local guild too.
Wild

*raises hand*

I'm a beginner, but I've been wanting to homebrew for a while now. I like making things from scratch whenever and wherever possible, so it seemed like a natural hobby for me.

I did notice when I walked into my LHBS that the guys in there didn't seem used to seeing a lot of female shoppers. I've never been stared at so much in my life (and I'm not a stare-worthy woman by any means)! :rolleyes:

dancingbarefoot - Good to have you around. If you are ever in Weed, CA stop by Mt. Shasta Brewing. I think it's the only 100% female-owned and operated brewery in the US. Great Brown Ale.

david_42 said:
dancingbarefoot - Good to have you around. If you are ever in Weed, CA stop by Mt. Shasta Brewing. I think it's the only 100% female-owned and operated brewery in the US. Great Brown Ale.

That's cool! Thanks for the heads-up. :)

A friend of mine at grad school is interested in brewing, too. I might be able to drag her in if I keep at it. So far, all my male friends just like drinking it, not making their own. Boooorrring!

dancingbarefoot said:
That's cool! Thanks for the heads-up. :)

A friend of mine at grad school is interested in brewing, too. I might be able to drag her in if I keep at it. So far, all my male friends just like drinking it, not making their own. Boooorrring!
Given that it's Rice, you're lucky to find anybody that even drinks beer...much more of a wine crowd. :cool:

El Pistolero said:
Given that it's Rice, you're lucky to find anybody that even drinks beer...much more of a wine crowd. :cool:
EP, you evidently have never been to the Ginger Man in the village??????:D

SHMBO is also a female member (hence the screen name:) ).

Only 2%!!! I guess I'll have to cross "must home-brew" off of my list of ideal qualities in a woman. Or, keep up my inadvertent celibacy.:confused:

I'm a female that just got started brewing at the start of this year. My fiance just helps me drink it. :-D

Besides yooper I've met quite a few in metro Detroit. One of them a Bjcp certified judge. And I know a ton of women who make mead. The Mead Mommas!

30611_387808159066_620469066_3994543_5946981_n.jpg

And I'm connected to a couple more on facebook as well.

Thread is now revived!

The guy who owns the LHBS regularly works alongside his wife. She seems to take over the conversation and answers my questions every time I go in - guess we know who wears the trousers!

Also got a book called Making Cider by a woman. Aside from that, nope...but I also don't know any other male home brewers :D

*Raises hand* I'm female. Actually, I started with wine making, because I was intimidated by the whole boiling wort thing. Well, the husband said that he would support my fermenting endeavors if I made beer instead. I probably like more beer styles than wine anyway. Plus, he carries the brew pot and carboys for me (even better than opening jars!) :D

*Raises hand* I'm female. Actually, I started with wine making, because I was intimidated by the whole boiling wort thing. Well, the husband said that he would support my fermenting endeavors if I made beer instead. I probably like more beer styles than wine anyway. Plus, he carries the brew pot and carboys for me (even better than opening jars!) :D

He has ulterior motives!

Hey, as long as I get to drink and enjoy what I make, it's all good. Plus, no more molson ice in the house is a good thing. Just hope he doesn't discover the clone recipe on AHS.

Me, too. Been brewing since about 2006 or so. El Hubbo is a terrific help when I need heavy things lifted. He is well-paid for services rendered, I can assure you. ;)

Er...I never said anything about giving him homebrew...there are, ahem, +other + items of barter available...which if you dont know about, I would highly recommend that you discuss with your wife. ;)

I was just at Mt Shasta Brewing a few weeks ago and I wondered about that. Nice place, good vibe and good beer. And what a view for the commute!

Back