My blueberry wine turned red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjk24100

Reaction score
So this was my first batch of blueberry wine. I was able to fine a blueberry juice from a local store. I let it ferment and when I bottled it the wine had turned as red as an apple. Is that normal? I had never had a wine change that much color before.

Ben

Did your juice start out blue?

I made blueberry wine from blueberries, it always had a red color.

Best I can figure, it may have had some dye that separated out.

I'm new at this so I wouldn't know but the whole idea of blueberry wine sounds just absolutely amazing! I bet it tastes awesome!
Want to trade a little bit for some Apple Pear?
Nothing much I'm just talking like a 12 ounce bottle or so

BadgerBrigade said:
I'm new at this so I wouldn't know but the whole idea of blueberry wine sounds just absolutely amazing! I bet it tastes awesome!
Want to trade a little bit for some Apple Pear?
Nothing much I'm just talking like a 12 ounce bottle or so

I would love to trade, but I'm in Ohio.......

Blueberry wine is awesome. Made two gallons this year. At LEAST 5 gallons next year!

bjk24100 said:
I bottled it today and usually when i bottle i take a sip or two here and there.
It is pretty sweat

Sweat??!!

Was your juice blue at any point?

An acidic environment (such as a wine) will remove colors. I don't know the exact science, but I know if you add lemon juice to a red wine it will turn the wine clear-ish)

I'm thinking that maybe red is the last color that can remain in the acidic environment. So it dropped out your blue colors leaving you with just the red. Remember that blueberries are purple and not blue.

Back