Saison/Sour Belgian Split with ECY Yeast opinions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galttfwo

Reaction score
So I got my hands on a ECY08 (Saison) and an ECY02 (Flemish Red) yeast.

Been coming up with a recipe to split a batch between the two of them (brewing this weekend, but may not get another chance for a few weeks)

Here is what I came up with using the ingredients on hand, any thoughts?

thanks!

10 Gallons(split into two 5 gallon carboys with different yeast pitched in each)

13 Lbs Belgian Pils
7 Lbs Wheat Malt

2 oz Saaz at 90 minutes
1 oz Saaz at 10 minutes
(thinking I may need to up this a little)

mash at 152

Dry hop the Saison portion with something (haven't decided yet)

extended aging of the flemish portion.

Yeast descriptions below.

ECY02 Flemish Ale: A unique blend of yeast and bacterial cultures. Produces dry beers with sourness and notes of leather, fruit, and cherry stone. Contains cultures including: S. cerevisae, Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, and Pediococcus. Perfect for Flemish reds, oud brune, and other sour ales. Designed to be pitched into primary fermentation, but can be added at any stage.
ECY08 Saison Brasserie blend : A combination of several Saison yeasts for both fruity and spicy characteristics accompianied with dryness. Apparent Attenuation: up to 80%. Suggested fermentation temp: 75-85° F.

Other than agreeing that I'd prefer a little more hopping, the recipe looks simple and solid for the two styles that are yeast driven.

Really don’t have anything to contribute, but bumped this because the yeast being used is new to me and inspired a search that found East Coast Yeast. I’d be interested to hear your or anyone elses thoughts on the recipe, yeast and how this turns out.

got a bit of advice from other venues, and it looks like I will be doing the above recipe, but doing 3 oz of Saaz at 90, and 1 oz at 10 minutes, whirlpool and drain off 5 gallons into the carboy for the flemish yeast, and then add 1 oz Saaz to the still hot wort left in the kettle for a few minutes.

Also, mashing at 149

What about the fermentation temperatures for these yeasts? I'd guess that they are both on the warm side, but do you have plans to treat them differently?

What about the fermentation temperatures for these yeasts? I'd guess that they are both on the warm side, but do you have plans to treat them differently?

Actually yeah. I chilled to 75 and pitches a starter of into each of the fermentors. The Flemish side I let ferment at room temp ~72 degrees. The Saison I have on temp control at about 83.

The ECY08 takes off like crazy! Blew my carboy cap right off (and this was only 4 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy.

I just got ECY03 and ECY08 today and can't wait to brew! I love a good Saison.
This will be my first Brett so I have segregated a pail and tubing etc.

I just bottled a saison using the ECY03 which is the ECY08 with a brett strain added. It finished at 1.003. I can't wait to crack a bottle in about a month. Corked and caged a bunch for longer term aging.

Completely forgot to post the follow up.

The ECY08 was amazing. Took a bit of time to carb up and let the flavors blend, but once it did, it was amazing. So very close to the dupont yeast strain. That keg emptied very fast.

The ECY02 is still in secondary, but I think it is almost time to bottle. We tried some recently down to 1.003 and crystal clear and brilliant. very pretty beer. Nice and tart, very sharp lactic. No funk to speak of (might show up later). Tastes very similar to Petrus.

Will be repeating this once the weather warms up and I get a hold of some more ECY02.

I did this same yeast split on a 10 gallon batch. Let both sit in a better bottle primary for 15 months. Did a taste test last night.
The flanders has a nice sour going.
The brett saison I get tons of nail polish aroma.
I would give the brett saison another try but I would age in a corny with a blanket of co2.

Back