Returning First runnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I am an AG'er and want to know how you guys return your first runnings. I run off into a 3 gal bottle and simply but slowly pour it back into the tun. The problem is I feel like I am channeling the returns. Any advise?

I've seen some folks use a tupperware lid to float on top of the mash and pour onto that to avoid channeling. Personally, I collect small amounts, a quart or two at a time, and pour back gently, but I'm using a cube and the grain bed is pretty deep.

Pabst Blue Robot said:
...Personally, I collect small amounts, a quart or two at a time, and pour back gently, but I'm using a cube and the grain bed is pretty deep.

Same here. I have a plastic measuring cup I use. I just catch a few measuring cups full till it runs clear, and return it right to the top of the bed without much disturbance to it.

I have seen people use tin foil, by just laying it over the top of their grain bed, and pour their first runnings over it. That works like a charm it seems.

i run off into a small kettle or tupperware pitcher to collect grains etc... i just slowly pour it back in, but usually have two inches or so of water over the grain bed.

I have a coors jug a bar owner gave me that I use for measureing
my mash water etc. that I use to collect my runnings into before pouring
back into my 5 gallon Igloo cooler/tun. My grainbed is deep and channeling isn't a factor doing batch sparging.

Whats the average amount you guys run off ? I will try to ajust my method of reintroducing my run off so it makes me feel better.

Back