WLP550 (Belgian Ale Yeast) Max ABV %?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowToad

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm working a Belgian Quad. I've got 7 pounds of pale 2-row, 8 pounds of Pilsner, 3 Pounds of Munich, 1oz of Saaz, 1oz of Tettenger and 2 pounds of Candi Sugar.

This equals out to around 13% ABV at 75% Efficiency. I'm planning on adding the Candi sugar mid-fermentation.

I was looking at WLP550 on this, but am wondering if anybody knows the limits of this yeast or where it tops out.

If it tops out lower than this, how would finishing with Champagne yeast work out?

Well since nobody else answered I suppose I'll give it a shot...

According to the White Labs web site, the alcohol tolerance of WLP550 is "med-high". I have no personal experience with that strain, but I would take a guess that if you're going to try a 13% beer with it you're going to need very good control over all aspects of this batch...

Most important would be a good healthy starter. There is calculator at MrMalty.com that can give you a very good idea of the size

Saccharification rest should be in the lower 150s for maximum conversion

The last 1/2-1/3 of of fermentation should take place towards the upper end of the optimum fermentation temperature, in this case around 78F

Finally, you may want to look at This Thread Although they were working on a much larger beer, there are some excellent tips on how to manage yeast in high ABV conditions

Good Luck!

Shawn

I don't know exactly about that strain, but I have used cultured Chimay yeast up to %12 ABV..with no issues.

Back