looking for some 1/4" stainless steel tubing for chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewurzel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get some 1/4" stainless steel tubing in a coil
For a reasonable price.

I am looking into making a small kegerator for traveling on a motorcycle and need some stainless for a chiller running through a small cooler of ice water as a full size plate chiller would be too large for the application that I am working with.

Thanks

There is a guy on ebay who makes stainless wort chillers out of his house. From the pics they look very nice and very inexpensive. Do a search for them and you will find him easily. May be worthwhile to see if he can make you something to fit your needs.

You'll get more bang for your buck going with copper...

Copper is a much better thermal conductor than stainless steel.

I know copper will conduct heat much better.
But for sanitary reasons I think SS will be better in long run.
Are there any arguments for SS against copper for this reason?

Carbonated beverages in copper/brass will leach copper, risking heavy metal poisoning by copper. Stick with stainless.

Hell your steel Co2 bottles filled with dry Co2 gas or any bottle with a trace of moisture causes carbonic acid that etches or eats into the those steel bottles. When tested, actually sonic wall thickness tested they can detect how bad this etching has gone into the original bottles body. They also tumble the bottles with a media material, wash, dry and inspect before refilling after a sonic test has been preformed. Steel is as clean as aluminum bottles on "rust taste".
My two bottles made by Linde of 150 and 260 cu/ft shipped over to Europe during the Hitler era have been stamped and restamped over app 7/16" Swastika to make a 4 square box to be PC are date stamped 59+ rehydro and a 41+ and still pass at a 10% overcharge in fillings. Older is better as one HBT member told me in the gas bottle refilling business plus bottles he has seen 1880, 1900's plus that pass the sonic check to this day. I'll keep these and no exchange, fill and keep these history plus owner owned bottles.

You'll get more bang for your buck going with copper...

Copper is a much better thermal conductor than stainless steel.

You don't want copper if the beer is carbonated.

EDIT: I guess that comment was redundant. CO2 reacts with copper.

Also, you'd probably have to worry about galvanization over time if you had copper and steel with beer in between them.

A kegerator on a motorcycle?

I need some pics, or at least some more story, please! :cross:

Well I am way from home for a while. I be home beginning of September and will post pics as I build.

The idea is to use a givi top case drill a hole put a shank through with tap handle on the outside.
On the inside I will have a 2.5 gallon keg passing through a 50' coil chiller in a small ice box or I may insulate the whole top case. Unsure on total details yet will see which works better.

I go motorcycle camping allot and would like to take my homebrew to drink at the rallies. Obviously I will not have it hooked up or the tap handle in place as I am ridding down the road. Will be for when we have setup and are not going anyware for the evening. I think it will be a great little gimmick.
and will proberbly be a great talking piece at the rallies.

Stainless is definitely the way to go for a mini-jockey box. The beverage factory has a neat one in an 8-quart cooler, although if I was building one, I'd have an OUT hose on one side and the shank for the tap on the other.

mm-cwc50.jpg

An AC unit added on a touring motorcycle, now think about it you heard it first here on this forum. Not only keeping your little keg cold also having the chiller and tap cold after a long days ride then park and party for the evening.
Long days for me was cracking 800 miles a day, under 400 to me a lunch meeting.
thewurtzel; in your neck of the woods I would of passed thru 10 states in a day.

Back