New HARRY POTTER movie!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this yesterday with the family. Very good IMO. Close to the book again, and lots of action and humour and still dark and scary sometimes too. I was surprised to see it was rated PG this time. Frankly, after seeing it, I don't know what it was rated any different. There was def. some spots that I thought were a bit scary for younger kids. IMO as scary as any of the others.

So much to put into one movie, but I think they did a good job. I hear the next book is going to be 2 movies.

snape-kills-dumbledore.jpg

Ass ^^

I have to avoid all things Harry Potter because I wait for the movies and then read the book. I just saw it last night and now will begin the book. In this world of so much information it is so difficult to avoid finding things out too.

Yeah, book 7 is a bit depressing at the start. I hope they get the mood just like it was in my head. I'd go see this movie again in a second. This time in digital.

Here's a question: Did you read the book first?

It occured to me, watching the previous movie, that they spent so much time cramming in inidividual moments/points/events of the book (kids notice when you leave stuff out, after all), that someone who hadn't read the book might not be able to follow the actual plot at all...

I prefer to watch movies before reading books, otherwise, the movie is always a let down. Also, seeing the movie first gives better visuals when you read the book later.

I prefer to watch movies before reading books, otherwise, the movie is always a let down. Also, seeing the movie first gives better visuals when you read the book later.

I prefer to read the book first. My own visuals are usually way better than the films. The only scene I can remember that was better than my own was the quiditch satdium at the beginning of the Goblet of Fire. That was very cool. :)

I liked the movie a lot -- I think it ranks right up there with the 3rd and the 5th in a race for best in the series.

That being said, I'm a major fan of the books... I've read them all at least three times and with HBP, that number is something more like 5 or 6. I have a different sense as to what's important for the setup to the next story, and I think this movie missed a lot of subtle notes in its portrayal of Ginny and in the aftermath of Dumbledore's death, how it sets up emotionally for the end of the story.

I liked the movie a lot -- I think it ranks right up there with the 3rd and the 5th in a race for best in the series.

That being said, I'm a major fan of the books... I've read them all at least three times and with HBP, that number is something more like 5 or 6. I have a different sense as to what's important for the setup to the next story, and I think this movie missed a lot of subtle notes in its portrayal of Ginny and in the aftermath of Dumbledore's death, how it sets up emotionally for the end of the story.

Agreed. There is no way they could do the movies as well as the books. But they did well with the time they had. Maybe in the last movie they will have the time allowed to portray the scenes and emotions that will be required...

Agreed. There is no way they could do the movies as well as the books. But they did well with the time they had. Maybe in the last movie they will have the time allowed to portray the scenes and emotions that will be required...

I know what you mean. I know they're interested in making the movies well-paced and trim, but I always leave thinking, "I could have sat through another 20 minutes EASILY."

I understand why the battle scene got cut, seeing as how almost the exact same scene will be at the end of Hallows part 2. But man, give Ginny some depth. She's nothing more than a one trick pony here.

the_Wife went to see the movie by herself today. That's a "win" in my book. No more asking-for-a-date-night-so-we-can-see-a-movie-I-have-zero-interest-in, no "but it's more mature, you'll like this one!," none of that crap. Win.

I'm hoping they'll release extended versions of all the movies eventually a la Lord of the Rings

Yeah, I've always hoped the same thing. I've also wished that there was a way they could re-shoot the first and second to make a more consistent overall aesthetic.

Ass ^^

I have to avoid all things Harry Potter because I wait for the movies and then read the book. I just saw it last night and now will begin the book. In this world of so much information it is so difficult to avoid finding things out too.

If you haven't heard that Dumbledore dies in the 4 years the book has been out, you've been living under a rock. Just sayin'

I really enjoyed the movie though. I haven't read the book since it came out. It was as good as any of the most recent have been.

I've read the books, but only saw part of one of the movies. Movies based on books don't work very well for me, unless I see the movie first. Also, the idea of driving 2-3 hours just to see a movie, isn't very appealing.

Movie was really good, but a little long. I thought there were a couple of things they could have left out to trim it down a little bit. I'm all for the movie following the book, but there wasn't a need to have the movie be 2.5hrs long IMO.

Strange. I thought I could have sat through a whole nother one.

I havn't seen it yet, but that is the feeling i am usually left with after the previous efforts. The books have so much great content that gets left out of the movies. In the first movies, especially there is a rich vein of humour in the books that gets lost in the movies. In later films too much important information is missing.

These books, like it or not, are literary classics. (Yes, I said literary classics) I think they needed to be treated with a tad more reverence by hollywood, just as Lord of the Rings was.

I think they finally got the picture Gnome. Apparently The Deathly Hallows is going to be filmed in 2 parts.

Back