Fitting ball valves to pots and cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
I went to my local hardware today expecting to find ball valves I could easily fit but they were all the common in-line variety (pipe in one side and out the other).
How do I go about fitting these to stainless steel pots and my MLT ?

If your pot has a coupler welded into it, then you would use a short pipe nipple 1/2" X close to attach it to your pot. For your cooler, you need a bulkhead fitting. You can get everything you need to make one at the hardware store, but if you're confused it would be better to buy one from a homebrew supplier.

If your kettle does not have a coupler welded in, then you need a weldless fitting for that as well (or you need to weld a coupler in)

You won't find a pre-assembled kits for bulkhead attachment at a local hardware store. I am surprised that you didn't find ball valves with NPT threads though. That's relatively common.

Are you in Johannesburg SA? If that is the case your hardware store would probably carry BSP fittings. It also sounds like you already have a bulkhead on your pot? If that is the case I would have to mirror the above posts and recommend Bargainfittings, not sure on their international shipping policy though.

Yes - Johannesbug, South Africa.
I will be going to an engineering shop today - if they don't have what I need I'll have to bring it in from bargain fittings.
Thanks guys.

Back