Film or Growth in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
So, I get back home after being out of town for a while again and notice some white spots floating on the surface in my secondary. I'm not an expert but it doesn't appear to have the appearance of a "growth", just looks like spots of maybe film floating around in there. It's been in there for weeks now and there's only some random patches of it.

This is the first time I've experienced this and I'm not sure there's even anything wrong at this point. Does anyone know if maybe leaving some residual oxyclean would interact with Starsan like this and leave some white floating spots on the surface? The beer looked just fine leaving the primary.

I'll do a taste-test in a little while once my bottles are sanitized, just curious if this was a known situation someone else has experienced.

P.S. I am not dumping this beer, at least until I give it a taste and then only after it's been in bottles a while.

Nothing to worry about at all. I call those yeast floaties and they just kind of hang around doing nothing. Sometimes they fall back down and sometimes they just float.

Cool, sounds like that's probably what I'm seeing. I'm moving forward with bottling and look forward to enjoying this one, it's my first Kolsch. Should be a good summer beer in a few weeks. (Since I live in S. TX, it's already pretty warm down here, at least enough for me to justify making a Kolsch. :)

Back