Stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatMac

Reaction score
I had my first Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale last night and loved it. I then immediately went back to the store and got their IPA. I liked it too, but the Arrogant Bastard has such a full bodied flavor...it's amazing.

Has anyone been successful at doing a clone of this? Even if I don't try to do a clone of it, I'd still like to get that aggressive hop aspect to a beer without making it too overwhelming or taking over the taste of the malt. Any suggestions as to how to get that full, strong hops flavor in a beer? What hops to use, how long to steep them, etc?

Thanks. What's the best way to go about giving an ale an extra hoppy flavor? Dry hopping in a secondary, or more hops in the boil?

"extra hoppy flavor"

To get the bitterness leave the hops in the boil longer. There is a limit though after to much your just costing yourself money for no gained bitterness. The last minute additions are the aroma hops and give the smell. I find that I can make an extremely bitter beer but until I started dry hopping in the keg I couldn't get anywhere near ABA or Stone IPA aroma. For me the aroma is more important than the extreme bitterness.

Edwort's Stone IPA clone is a great recipe as well.

If you liked the Bastard, try the Ruination IPA.....

AMAZING.
It may just change your life.:mug:

The stone website usualy has the ingredients listed there.No recipies but it'll give you an idea.

I agree on the Ruination IPA. SUCH A GREAT BEER!

I brewed a few batches of an Arrogant Bastard clone from a local "Brew Your Own" shop. It was great. I still have a few left and have been savoring them.

+1 on Ruination. I'm not a huge hop head; I typically prefer more balanced IPAs over the extreme offerings. But Ruination is a great, great beer, 100 IBU or not.

Ruination kicks ass. It's even better if you're in the stone gardens with a designated driver

Ruination kicks ass. It's even better if you're in the stone gardens with a designated driver

I agree, I visited Stone Brewery last Fall and WOW! That place was amazing. Very homebrewer friendly during the tour and the free tastings after gave a great taste of their lineup. After the tour, My wife & I went to the beer garden... we were blown away! We loved it so much, we went back 3 times.

I agree, I visited Stone Brewery last Fall and WOW! That place was amazing. Very homebrewer friendly during the tour and the free tastings after gave a great taste of their lineup. After the tour, My wife & I went to the beer garden... we were blown away! We loved it so much, we went back 3 times.

If I'm ever out that way I'll definitely have to check it out.

Has anyone ever made the Hop Head Double IPA from Midwest? I know it probably doesn't turn out like a Stone brew, but in the near future I want to make an Ale with a really strong hop flavor.

+1 on Ruination. I'm not a huge hop head; I typically prefer more balanced IPAs over the extreme offerings. But Ruination is a great, great beer, 100 IBU or not.

I'm not a hop head either, but I saw this beer as being quite balanced. Has some real hoppness to it, but the malt character balances with it well. All I have to say is mmm mmm good!

Drinking the Stone IPA right now, love it. Looking forward to the Arrogant Bastard Ale but not in the fridge yet, will prob try this weekend or next. There is a whole world of beer that has finally been made available to me from Total Wine & More. I think it may be a state but the Stone beers may be my next favorite. :mug:

For what it's worth, I had their RIS and barleywine the other night. The RIS was good, but a little sweeter than I like in a stout. The barleywine however, was out of this world. Was my first barleywine and now I'm convinced I wanna make one!!!

The jury is still out for me. I guess I have not graduated from hop university yet or something. I have a friend that grew up next to Stone and is an absolute fanatic about the place and their beers. I even brewed the IPA clone in BYO magazine for him, but I am not much of a fan although I did like their 11th Anniversary Ale though (Stone 11th Anniversary Ale) and I do like the occasional AB too. I just haven't found their other beers to be as good as everyone says, but this is my thoughts and most won't agree.

I enjoy most of their brews, Ruination is probably my favorite. I just tried their OG B Wine and wasn't that crazy about it, it's too hoppy for the style.

Back