Sweet stout black/dark malts questions....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
OK, stout experts. I have been looking at a lot of different stout recipes trying to gauge a good mix of dark malts, but there's a ton of variation there.

In a milk stout, would 1lb of black patent followed by .75lb of caramel and .5lb of chocolate work well? this is what Jamil has listed in his BCS book, but I've heard people swearing that too much black patent is bad.....

.....I have 1lb each of black patent, crystal 80L, Chocolate, and Roasted Barley. Hit me with a couple of good variations, and take a minute to explain why you would use it that way, if you would...thanks guys.

I just opened my first bottle of Jamil's Sweet Stout after 3 weeks in the bottle, based on the podcast, i don't have the book yet. I too posted a question about the amount of black patent, and had alot of people tell me it was too much. I already had my grains crushed and ready, so it was too late for me. Let me say, this beer was perfect!! The catch to the recipe is to add a whole pound of Lactose. I don't believe most milk stouts add that much, but it is needed to offset the pound of black patent. The taste is balanced, though you could cut down the black patent just a little to get a sweeter taste. I don't know if I would though. I would try it as-is, and see what you think, you won't be dissapointed.

Hey comj49, I'm glad it turned out good. Can I ask, how is the body and mouthfeel? I'd like to achieve a richness to mine, sorta a little milkshaky, though not in the extreme.....

I was thinking about splitting the lb of black malt 50/50 between black patent and roasted barley.....I don't know if that would be too much 'black and roasty' in a milk stout though.....

In the podcast, Jamil describes it like drinking a sweetened expresso and that is very similiar. It is full-bodied, very rich and roasty. The sweetness is there, but faint. I think you would be good with cutting the black patent to add roasted barley, or just try and cut back the black patent to maybe 3/4 lb? Also, i used the wyeast whitbread (1099 i think). The whitbread is highly flocculant, almost too much. Mine is still not fully carbed after 3 weeks. It is showing signs though, so i think i will try and hold off until St.Patty's day, should be nice and carbed by then.

Back