Keg In-Out Reversed??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
I just picked up a couple of reconditioned kegs from Pedalbiker (great kegs and a great price!) a few weeks ago. Tonight I sanitzed both of them and racked over a couple beers (AHS Hoppy Red and AHS Amber Lager). I sealed them up and hit them both with 30lbs to seat the lids. Hoppy red was perfect. However the Amber lager burbled and bubbled.

I purged it and pulled the lid and sure enough, the "IN" post was connected to the long dip tube and the "OUT" post to the short gas in dip. Since it was already full, I resealed it, attached my gas to the "out post and reseasted the lid with a 30psi hit. It sealed up nice with no leaks. I marked the postys as backward with a little circle sticker.

Now, I am ASSuming that this is no big deal, and can be fixed on the next diss-assembly. Please someone tell me to RDWHAHB!!

-Todd

RDWHAHB!! I couldn't just say RDWHAHB!! because it was too short so here you go. All you did was make the CO2 go through the liquid to the top of the keg no big deal.

you might have to switch the posts though. On mine, the gas locks onto the "out" post but the tap won't lock onto the "in" post. Or are the posts right, just on the wrong sides of the keg? If that's it, you're golden.

Actually I heard of someone doing this on purpose to force more contact with CO2 and therefore carbonate faster.

I need to check the notches tonight, but I think the two posts/tubes are just installed onthe wrong sides. I hope.

Yeah, it doesn't matter which side they are on, as long as the gas post is connected to the short tube and the liquid post is attached to the dip tube. Just don't forget and try to jam the connectors on the wrong post ;)

Well, I am screwed. The gas in post is connected to the long tube and vice-versa. F**k. Now I need to try and bleed it off and doa quick and dirty/sanitary dissassembly/re-assembly. Off to learn how.

-Todd

A 7/8" 12 point wrench (or deep well socket) is all you need. The dip tubes just pull right out after you get the disconnects off.

Thanks man. I found that out with a quick search, but alas I don't have one in the tool-box. However, all was not lost. In my frustration I decided to follow ole' Charlie P's advice and RDWHAHB.
:mug:

I placed a glass to the faucet of my American wheat and halway through the pint it sputtered and coughed.....keg was kicked. Problem solved. I did a quick rinse and sanitize f the kicked keg of wheat and then re-racked my Lager into the newly sanitized keg. Resealed...hit it with Co2 and then rinsed the keg that needs the posts swapped. Tommorow I will swing by my office and borrow the socket I need form the garage!
:rockin:

-Todd ....who is relaxing with pint of AHS CHoclolate Raspberry Stout (instead of Wheat)

Latest posts

Back