Irish red ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BranCookie

Reaction score
This is my first Irish red ale recipe tell me what you think.

5 lbs light dry malt extract
8 oz crystal 120
4 oz crystal 60
2 oz special B
1 oz black patient
1 oz cascade 60 min
1 oz fuggle 15 min
1 oz fuggle 5 min
wyeast irish ale yeast

Im just looking for some feedback im still a noob when it comes to putting together my own recipes. BTW this forum has been a god send for me. Just reading everyones posts has helped me a great deal. Thanks to everyone at HBT. :mug:

This is my first Irish red ale recipe tell me what you think.

5 lbs light dry malt extract
8 oz crystal 120
4 oz crystal 60
2 oz special B
1 oz black patient
1 oz cascade 60 min
1 oz fuggle 15 min
1 oz fuggle 5 min
wyeast irish ale yeast

Im just looking for some feedback im still a noob when it comes to putting together my own recipes. BTW this forum has been a god send for me. Just reading everyones posts has helped me a great deal. Thanks to everyone at HBT. :mug:

Beersmith gives it a nice color up towards the high end, it's at the high end of the hops for the style, but at the low end of the OG/ABV.

An option might be to throw in an extra pound of Light DME. That gives you another roughly 1% alcohol and sits you square in the middle of the style guidelines.

Seems like a lot of 120L. At one oz, you can use black patent or roasted really, it is more to just tint it red than anything at that small of an amount. It would be more in style to use the roasted though.

Any reason why you want to use cascade for bittering? I guess it shouldn't matter that much. EKG or fuggles would probably be better and more with in style.

Thanks guys for the input I'll sub roasted barley instead of the black patent and throw in another pound of DME. I'm using the 1oz of cascade because its sitting in my freezer and I figured it wouldn't hurt to through in as a bittering hop since it has more alpha acids than the fuggles. This is only my second recipe I've put together on my own, I usually order kits from Austin home brew supply. I only have good things to say about them, all there kits have been great but I'm trying get a little adventurous and put together my own recipe. I'm sure I'll buy the ingredients for them so if you read this Forest I'd love hear your advice.

You should just hold on to the Cascades and do 1 oz of fuggles for bittering, then half an oz of EKGs for some late additions. One whole oz of fuggle at 5 min is probably too much. But really it is whatever you like

Remember brew what you like :mug:

Thanks guys for the input I'll sub roasted barley instead of the black patent and throw in another pound of DME. I'm using the 1oz of cascade because its sitting in my freezer and I figured it wouldn't hurt to through in as a bittering hop since it has more alpha acids than the fuggles. This is only my second recipe I've put together on my own, I usually order kits from Austin home brew supply. I only have good things to say about them, all there kits have been great but I'm trying get a little adventurous and put together my own recipe. I'm sure I'll buy the ingredients for them so if you read this Forest I'd love hear your advice.

The recipe looks good but I really don'y like Black Patent or Roasted Barley in a Red. I would also blend the hops and use the same ounce amounts you have on the recipe. The Cascade would be great in the flavor and aroma as well. Take all 3 ounces of the hops and blend them. The grainbill looks good but I would add another 1/4 lb of 120L and get rid of the Black Patent.

Keep me posted.

Forrest

Not that I would disagree with Austinhomebrew, but to each their own style and I love making reds with a low crystal like 40, and just a little Roasted Barley (I love the taste, but no more than 2-4 oz). Black Patent, Special B, Crystal 120 I think would push it a little for a Red with that low of a ferment-able base.
Kick up the extract by a pound or two, then keep the Special B and use crystal 40 or 60. (my very humble opinion).
I just can't wait till my Red is finished ageing.

Back