Great Western Superior Pilsner Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleepleus

Reaction score
So I just left the brewshop with a bag of Great Western Superior Pilsner Malt. Now I am having second thoughts.... Is this the type of pilsner malt I want? I am just now getting into lagers as I have temp control. I also do a fair amount of Belgians, which generally ask for "Continental Pilsner" in the recipe. Is this a comparable product??

It is a similar product. However the soil conditions the grain grows in does have an effect on the taste. The earthiness of Maris Otter is a prime example. Using a GW pilsner in a recipe calling for a continental pilsner may result in a slight taste difference. I however wouldn't worry to much about it; just brew a batch and see if you are happy with the taste.

Thanks for the reassurance, as that is basically what I was looking for! I think I may try another bag of Weyerman's Pils and try a couple of recipes split between each malt to taste the difference.

Pleepleus - how did it end up working out for you, with North American Pilsner malt? As good as European in your estimation...?

I've been on a yellow beer kick for the last couple years and have gone through several sacks of pilsner malt brewing nothing but german pilsners, cream ales and hefeweizens. Of the domestic pilsner malts I've tried, the GW stuff is fine. I liked the Canada Malting Company pilsner the best. The Gambrinus is okay but really really messy (so much more trub than anything else I've ever brewed with). None of them are as good as the Weyermann stuff (very clean in the kettle, great efficiency, awesome sweat malty flavour) But the domestic is half the price and at worse its 80% as good (and I wouldn't say its not as good or worse, its just slightly different).

Thanks GBX.

Great Western is pretty cheap, and I've had good luck for pale ales and whatnot with their standard 2-row. Haven't brewed with anything else they make.

I've brewed lots of lagers over the past year and really like German & Czech Pilsner. Have always used either Weyermann's or Best Malz. Haven't brewed enough brews that were the same to compare and know for sure which of those two were best... If the domestic is pretty good but only 80% as good as the European, even if half price, it wouldn't be worth it to buy domestic for me...if you know what I mean? I would stick with German Malt... Maybe could get enough GW Pilsner malt to make one batch, I suppose... Or just get some grains to taste test side-by-side. (perhaps answering my own question).

If the domestic has certain advantageous qualities (it may), would be cool to know what they were... Make a European inspired but all domestic brew...

I've always bought grain from local home brew shop but because of cost - and also pain in the butt grinding 2 lbs. at a time at local shop - plan to buy my own grain and equipment. At this point, leaning towards a 15 lbs. grinder, and a bag of Best Malz pilsner malt and a bag of Great Western 2-Row Malt.

If the domestic is pretty good but only 80% as good as the European, even if half price, it wouldn't be worth it to buy domestic for me...if you know what I mean? I would stick with German Malt... Maybe could get enough GW Pilsner malt to make one batch, I suppose... Or just get some grains to taste test side-by-side. (perhaps answering my own question).

I understand and i'm of the same school of thought. 3 of my last 4 bags of pilsner have been Weyermann bohemian pilsner. Its home-brew and the difference between a $8 grist and $16 is worth it to me. The one non-weyermann was a half bag of the canada malting and I did a cream ales, some hefes, a dunkel and a baltic porter. They were all fine and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another bag of it if the weyermann wasn't available.

A SMaSH is a great way to evaluate new malts, hops and yeast. My standard recipe for testing out new pilsner malt is a 5gal 1.044 with 2oz of hallertau at FW and 1oz at flameout, fermented with US05. Its cheap and drinkable within 3 weeks. I have no problem getting rid of a yellow lager like beer (even the wife and in laws will drink these experiments).

The Gambrinus is okay but really really messy (so much more trub than anything else I've ever brewed with).

Interesting, I haven't tried the Gambrinus Pils but I've noticed that with other malts. Is it just me or is every Continental malt super dusty? I mill a LOT of grain for people and I have noticed that the domestic stuff, especially Great Western, is pretty clean. Yet when I mill anything from over the pond the resulting dust cloud chokes me out and I have to pause and then resume milling after a lengthy coughing fit. Perhaps it is because I mill about 400 lbs a day, but I'm thinking the European malts are extra dusty. Has anyone else noticed this? I can't speak to the trub, but dang that dust is killing me!

I've always bought grain from local home brew shop but because of cost

Right on bro! Keep supporting local businesses and your fellow brewers! :mug:

Weyermann is my favorite, but the GW is really good. I usually add some rice or corn for "American Lager".

A decoction would change things... Weyermann gets that distinct German/Dutch "twangy" malt flavor, GW just gets "maltier"... which is good.

Interesting, I haven't tried the Gambrinus Pils but I've noticed that with other malts. Is it just me or is every Continental malt super dusty? I mill a LOT of grain for people and I have noticed that the domestic stuff, especially Great Western, is pretty clean. Yet when I mill anything from over the pond the resulting dust cloud chokes me out and I have to pause and then resume milling after a lengthy coughing fit. Perhaps it is because I mill about 400 lbs a day, but I'm thinking the European malts are extra dusty. Has anyone else noticed this? I can't speak to the trub, but dang that dust is killing me!

Right on bro! Keep supporting local businesses and your fellow brewers! :mug:

Maybe the european stuff is drier? That would also explain the slightly improved efficiency too.

If you are grinding that much daily you probably should wear a mask, grain dust is not a good thing to inhale on a regular basis. its not as bad as a lot of things you can breath but there is a condition known as "farmer lung" (don't google "grain dust exposure" if you are hypochondriac like myself)

And yes support your local homebrew shop. grain is something you want to taste before buying and yeast really needs to be purchased locally so it doesn't suffer the abuse of home ups delivery

Back