british base malt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im going to be buying a 55 pound bag of british pale malt for my next several brews. My local store offers Thomas Fawcett: Golden Promise, optic, pearl and of course Marris otter. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on these malts? I couldn't really find any concrete descriptive differences from the marketing info

They're all good. TF makes an excellent product. Bear in mind that those names are barley cultivars, not the malt itself. Optic and Pearl are modern, high-yield barleys, The Golden Promise and Maris-Otter are heirloom varieties that will generally cost a little more but have some additional depth of flavor and richness.

What type or beers will you be brewing and what malt(s) have you been using?

Either Maris Otter or Golden Promise are going to be good choices.

For "style appropriateness", floor malted MO is the go-to for English ales, GP for Scottish.

I'm a fan of MO, but I've only used MO, Rahr Premium Pils, and now Franco Belge Pils in my own recipes. but MO has great flavor & aroma!

If the golden promise and maris otter are about the same price, get the golden promise! I love it.

It really depends on what you are making, but I love golden promise in even American IPAs because it's "warm" and toasty tasting to me.

If the golden promise and maris otter are about the same price, get the golden promise! I love it.

It really depends on what you are making, but I love golden promise in even American IPAs because it's "warm" and toasty tasting to me.

next sack of British base, I'm looking at GP. always heard good things.

next sack of British base, I'm looking at GP. always heard good things.

It's what Surly uses for base malt for Furious. It's a nice "malty" malt, but not over the top (like Munich can be in large amounts), and gives a nice strong malt backbone as a base. It's "warm" tasting to me, like a warm loaf of bread.

It's very similar to maris otter, but I think the golden promise is just more of the same, if that makes any sense at all!

TF MO is the best. My choice for all things british. If you're more into Scottish ales, then go for the golden promise. Optic and Pearl malt are also great for american styles but will be great in any British beer. You seriously can't go wrong.

It's what Surly uses for base malt for Furious. It's a nice "malty" malt, but not over the top (like Munich can be in large amounts), and gives a nice strong malt backbone as a base. It's "warm" tasting to me, like a warm loaf of bread.

It's very similar to maris otter, but I think the golden promise is just more of the same, if that makes any sense at all!

yes it does!

Back