Most over rated craft beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christopherrburns

Reaction score
This may be a post floating around already but thought I'd put it out there. What's the 5 most over rated craft beers in your opinion. Mine in no particular order are

Jai alai by cigar city
Oberon by bells
Dark lord Three floyds
Dogfish head 120
New Glarus Wisconsin cherry red.
For the record I like most of the above beers. Just think the hype exceeds the product.

I'm gonna say it, even though I bear the risk of my fellow NorCal homebrewers showing up at my door with torches and pitchforks:

Pliny the Younger.

Is it good? Yes.

Is it damn good? Yes.

Do I eagerly anticipate the day when, much like Pliny the Elder, it's finally produced in sufficient quantity that I can just walk up to the bar and order a pint of it without elbowing a herd of beer nerds for an hour just to get in the door? Once again, yes!

Feinbera, i'm not sure i understand your logic ... Pliny the younger is overrated because it is damn good and you yearn for the day when they produce more of it?

This may be a post floating around already but thought I'd put it out there. What the 5 most over rated craft beers in your opinion. Mine in no particular order are

Jai alai by cigar city
Oberon by bells
Dark lord Three floyds
Dogfish head 120
New Glarus Wisconsin cherry red.
For the record I like most of the above beers. Just think the hype exceeds the product.

Agree with most of your list, other than Jai Alai, that's a really solid and unique IPA.

and I'll add ANYTHING by bells. I'll never understand the consistent over-hyping of that brewery. Especially considering how many other truly great MI breweries that are around.

Green Flash, West Coast IPA
Founders Double Trouble
Masala Mama IPA--how is this in the top 100???

Westy. I had it for free and damn glad I didnt spend $80 a bottle on it, or whatever the price is now. Of course it's a good beer but nothing is that good.

+1 all dogfish head beer

Cant believe I didnt think of DFH beers.

I wont go as far to say all, but certainly 120, 60, and 90. 75 however is quite delicious. Most of the weird historical beers, although I'm not so sure many of them are heavily hyped.

Pretty much every craft beer is overrated. I've had some admirable craft beers but nothing that blows my own homebrews away, at least not for the price they charge for some of these craft beers. $30 for a 6-pack? Really?

Feinbera, i'm not sure i understand your logic ... Pliny the younger is overrated because it is damn good and you yearn for the day when they produce more of it?

I think a craft beer can be good and still overrated. Hopslam and Dark Lord are very good beers but the headache associated with getting these beers is too much and you can find beers that are as good without having to be put on a wait list or spending 40 dollars on the privilege of waiting in line for hours at dark lord day so you can then buy your limit of three. That's what makes them overrated.

+1 DFH 120

Don't get Jai Lai being on here though.

Others
Anything not a Porter from Speakeasy
Anything not Bitter American from 21st Amendment
Bear Republic Red Rocket
Full Sail
Pyramid shouldn't even be sold
Rogue, any of them
Hair of the Dog, some decent ones but overall it's beer for wine drinkers

Agree with most of your list, other than Jai Alai, that's a really solid and unique IPA.

and I'll add ANYTHING by bells. I'll never understand the consistent over-hyping of that brewery. Especially considering how many other truly great MI breweries that are around.

Green Flash, West Coast IPA
Founders Double Trouble
Masala Mama IPA--how is this in the top 100???

Greenflash is durn good, but maybe it's just me having access to it cheaply here on the west coast. For the price I get it I love it.

McBrewskie said:
Greenflash is durn good, but maybe it's just me having access to it cheaply here on the west coast. For the price I get it I love it.

Agreed even on east coast Palate Wrecker is insanely good. Agreed on standard offering of DFH are overrated.

I honestly don't know if I have a beer that truly hits this list, but a lot of people seem to like Unibroue and I really don't like them so I guess everything but La Fin du Monde by them would hit that category for me.

I live just down the road from Cigar City brewing co. and I think just about all their stuff is overrated, but Jai alai is literally the only beer I have ever not been able to finish. I had to push it away in disgust.

I honestly don't know if I have a beer that truly hits this list, but a lot of people seem to like Unibroue and I really don't like them so I guess everything but La Fin du Monde by them would hit that category for me.

That's odd.... I found LA fin du monde to be boring and very overrated..... but everyone has different tastes

That's odd.... I found LA fin du monde to be boring and very overrated..... but everyone has different tastes

I can't really stomach many of their other beers, so that's why I listed it as an exception. I'll take bland and boring over something I genuinely don't like such as Ephemere, Maudite, and La Terrible, and yes I know most of them score well on BA or rate beer, I'm aware of them, btu they're certainly not one that I love but many others do.

I can't really stomach many of their other beers, so that's why I listed it as an exception. I'll take bland and boring over something I genuinely don't like such as Ephemere, Maudite, and La Terrible, and yes I know most of them score well on BA or rate beer, I'm aware of them, btu they're certainly not one that I love but many others do.

That makes sense

IMO, many of the beers that skirt the line between mass appeal and still cling to the 'craft' terminology are overrated because much of the hype happened due to being a bit of a sellout. Many summer wheat beers that are on the market, for example, pale in comparison to one that's brewed in the home. That goes for some of these 'Bock' beers that are sub-5% ABV and use corn to lighten the body. Anything that bends tradition in order to appeal to more light fizzy beer fans and still pins an age old style name to it, I tend to avoid.

La Terrible, such an appropriately named brew.

DFH 120 is high obnoxious to my palate. And just about anything by Stone these days.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:

I agree I do like Terrible but thats only because it doesn't taste like their house yeast. Gimme some Dieu du Ciel anyday.

Heady Topper. 40 bucks for a 4pack? Is it good? yeah. but some guys around here will give their left nut for it. That good? no.

Probably every single overhyped beer because nothing can live up to the hype that these things get.

Pliney
Heady Topper
KBS
CBS
Dark Lord

All are amazing beers, but for the amount of effort and time I had to put into getting DL, it could never live up to the hype. Same for the others.

I had some friends go to dark lord day and it sounds like a cluster f, Pay to get in wait hours in line for your opportunity to buy three bottles instead of the usual 4, did not tell anyone the allotment was 3 until the morning of, pay the same price for three that they did for 4 the year before and then if they are lucky they may win yet another opportunity to purchase more bottles of a super special dark lord. No thanks will just buy a nice bottle of a different imperial stout and save my self about 200 dollars and 8 hours of headache.

The vertical epic series. Some of them are ok but I've seen the entire set online go for like 400 bucks. That's just stupid.

I can understand Oberon...I just had a sixer last week and thought it was not any better than the lighter ales I brew at home. But for me there aren't many breweries in my neck of the woods that brew more consitent beers from A-Z than Bells. My local liquor store on occasion has hopslam by the skid-full too...which is nice.

+1 for DFH 120

I'll add Founders Doom and Brooklyn Black Ops to the list as well. Not a bad beers, but they weren't worth the hype and hefty price tags.

1) Any beer for which you must show up on a certain date/time, stand in line and to pay an exorbitant price for a limited quantity is overrated in my book, when there are plenty of more available beers that are probably just as good, if not better.
2) Any beer that's $10-plus for a 22 oz. bomber.
3) Any beer that's embraced by a "hipster" crowd.

Just had a Pliny the elder and it was good. Just feel the hype was too much and I was expecting something special to happen. I would drink a sculpin over pte any day.

Speaking of outrageously priced beers, has anyone tried FiftyFifty Brewing's Eclipse Stout series? My local beer store is selling them for an absurd $30.99 a bottle.

Wow, a lot of hate on the hopslam. I guess I missed the memo on that one. If I did have to bust my ass to get it I would say it's over rated too...but I do enjoy it over most other examples.

Wow, a lot of hate on the hopslam. I guess I missed the memo on that one. If I did have to bust my ass to get it I would say it's over rated too...but I do enjoy it over most other examples.

I'm sure a lot of people don't like it because it's a DIPA and it doesn't have that face melting dry bitterness that most hopheads crave. When it's fresh and especially on tap, it's complex, well balanced and smooth.

Some possible better titles for this thread:

"Beers I don't like as much as other people"

"Beers that used to be hyped, but have faded into semi-obscurity, that I still want to complain about"

"Beers I wish I didn't cost so much"

"Any hype is too much hype."

Seriously though, Hopslam? Hasn't that horse been beat enough?
120? If there was any hype about this beer, it was when it came out, what 10 yrs ago?
Oberon? Oberon? Hype? Oberon Hype? What???? It's a grocery store beer available in 18 states.

I'm on the anything that costs more than $9 a sixer is overrated.
you would think that some of these brewerys yeast piss gold instead of alcohol

I had some friends go to dark lord day and it sounds like a cluster f, Pay to get in wait hours in line for your opportunity to buy three bottles instead of the usual 4, did not tell anyone the allotment was 3 until the morning of, pay the same price for three that they did for 4 the year before and then if they are lucky they may win yet another opportunity to purchase more bottles of a super special dark lord. No thanks will just buy a nice bottle of a different imperial stout and save my self about 200 dollars and 8 hours of headache.
Hard for me to disagree. I got tickets on a whim without really knowing what I was getting myself into. I had a great weekend (hung out in Indy Friday night and had some awesome beer and a great time) and Dark Lord Day was something to experience, so I don't regret going, but I probably wouldn't go again. And you are discounting the festival part. There was some amazing beer to be had and heavy metal music (if you are into that).

Back