rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathanquist

Reaction score
So my dad works at a rice mill. And he wants me to do a rice beer. How do I use regular not made for brewing rice?

I believe you'll need to do a cereal mash- a quick search on the site should bring up a good procedure for that. You can't make an all-rice beer, but you can use it as an adjunct for lighter styles, particularly american lager styles.

Sorry everything I read seems to contradict themselves all I understand is boil rice until gelatin like. Then you put it in the mash? Is it that simple? Or is there better ways to do it

Sorry everything I read seems to contradict themselves all I understand is boil rice until gelatin like. Then you put it in the mash? Is it that simple? Or is there better ways to do it

That's pretty much it. I make a very nice light ale that is simply pale malt and jasmine rice, mashed as described and using only splat hops.

I'm about to lager a version pretty soon to see how clean I can get it. The jasmine flavor and aroma do make it through.

I think I use 9lbs pale to 3lbs rice, only hop to 17 ibu.

Uuuuhhh...I was under the impression from young people that being a ricer was a bad thing?...:D
I usually see brewers using flaked rice. So I guess it doesn't matter as long as you use the proper method for the style of rice used?

Uuuuhhh...I was under the impression from young people that being a ricer was a bad thing?...:D
I usually see brewers using flaked rice. So I guess it doesn't matter as long as you use the proper method for the style of rice used?

That's my experience. I came up with my jasmine rice recipe for my Thai fiance who loves that flavor. She also enjoys Sapporo, so I was shooting for a jasmine version of that. Worked out well at 60 deg and us05. I can't wait to truly lager one and see how it turns out.

That's pretty much it. I make a very nice light ale that is simply pale malt and jasmine rice, mashed as described and using only splat hops.

I'm about to lager a version pretty soon to see how clean I can get it. The jasmine flavor and aroma do make it through.

I think I use 9lbs pale to 3lbs rice, only hop to 17 ibu.

That sounds wonderful.

I can post the recipe when I get home, if you are interested.

Yes please! I'm sticking with ales for the near future because I'm new and don't have the right equipment/setup yet for lagering.

Also looking at using wild rice, but I started another thread about that so this one stays on track. :)

If you use flaked rice you don't need to do a cereal mash. There is also rice syrup. You can use 2-row or a combination of 2-row and 6-row to help with the rice conversion in the mash. 6-row has over twice the diastatic power of 2-row.

Yes please! I'm sticking with ales for the near future because I'm new and don't have the right equipment/setup yet for lagering.

Also looking at using wild rice, but I started another thread about that so this one stays on track. :)

I changed it! Read the wrong notes last night! I posted the wrong batch, one that I didn't like as much. This is the original one I made, and much better!

85% two row pale or pils
15% jasmine rice (cereal mashed)

Spalt

mash 1.5 qt/lb at 148 for an hour. ferment with us-05 at 60 degrees, or as cool as you can. alternately, use a clean lager strain. thats what I'll be doing soon, maybe saflager w34/70.

Build your grainbill based on your efficiency to get 1.046 or so, and about 17-18 ibu.

I'll post the hop schedule when I get home, I don't exactly recall.

its super easy to make, and pretty darn crisp. it's good for those hot summer days when something more malty is just too heavy.

if you give it a shot, post your results as they come in! :mug:

You could certainly cut the grain bill back to get a lower gravity, my last one fermented out to 1.004, so it was pretty high in alcohol. I pitched it on a yeast cake, and the low mash temp I figure is why it got so dry. That's how I like it though, keeps it refreshing.

So my dad brought me 20# of wild crazy weird specialty rices. One of which is a black rice that they allow to ferment and then they kiln it. I believe these types of rice are screaming for a delicious purpose!

Latest posts

Back