How much acidulated to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickahyatt

Reaction score
Ordered some, looks like sunflower seeds. Do I chop them up, or what? I have 1oz. How much to use for a 5gal batch, please, to give me what I think will be that bitter metallic taste?

Ordered some, looks like sunflower seeds. Do I chop them up, or what? I have 1oz. How much to use for a 5gal batch, please, to give me what I think will be that bitter metallic taste?

Use the full ounce. I use 1.5 oz in my Guinness clone for an acid/sour "tang", so your 1oz may not be enough to get the "metalic" aftertaste you are looking for, but it should give you an indication if you are headed in the right direction. You will need to crush the grain and steep it as you would any other steeping grain. If you mash it, it will not contribute the acidic note you are looking for, so crush and steep. 30 min @ 150F before the boil should do it.

Use the full ounce. I use 1.5 oz in my Guinness clone for an acid/sour "tang", so your 1oz may not be enough to get the "metalic" aftertaste you are looking for, but it should give you an indication if you are headed in the right direction. You will need to crush the grain and steep it as you would any other steeping grain. If you mash it, it will not contribute the acidic note you are looking for, so crush and steep. 30 min @ 150F before the boil should do it.

Thank you for your kind reply, but I had to toss it: It's barley, I've figured out, and I have Celiac's Disease.

Thank you for your kind reply, but I had to toss it: It's barley, I've figured out, and I have Celiac's Disease.

You have my sympathy. Tou could try to acidify the wort with a careful addition of lactic acid. You can get it from northern brewer or at your LHBS. 1/2 tsp should lower your ph by about 1 point. You could also try adding it after fermentation.

Thanks. Well, after a lot of effort I finally got a batch of millet to sprout. And further suggestions as to recipe, flavoring, etc? Right now I'm trying a beer yeast in one batch, and champagne in another just to make sure ALL of the sugar gets eaten up.

Thanks. Well, after a lot of effort I finally got a batch of millet to sprout. And further suggestions as to recipe, flavoring, etc? Right now I'm trying a beer yeast in one batch, and champagne in another just to make sure ALL of the sugar gets eaten up.

Probably best off asking in the Gluten-Free forum, they'll have the most experience with it.

Back