Hooch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPatrick

Reaction score
Someone gave a recipe for homemade wine. They called it brandy, but since there's not still involved, it's really not.

Ingredients:
~4 gallons water
10 pounds table sugar
5 pounds fruit
2 pounds raisins around day 12.
7g yeast

Shake or stir the wash (mash, whatever) every day for 7 days. Then allow to sit for 21 days.

I had some that they made, and it wasn't too bad, it could probably double as jet fuel, but it was all right. Again, no still involved, and it's served still.

What's your opinions on this one?

I thought prohibition ended in the US some years back!

It did, but we're still trying to get people's tastes out of the toilet. :D
On a side note, we actually STILL have a few moonshiners in the USA, at least there were about 10 years ago when that show on the Discovery Channel was filmed. Regards, GF.

I live in WV, and I can confirm the existence of 'shiners for you.

(-:

Given the widespread availability of all kinds of already horrible tasting alcohol, there's really no reason to make something like this. Well, the only reason someone would is because they can't legally buy alcohol.

I have had some booze made with the same recipe. They used Elderberries

and it aged for a year it was acually pretty good

I actually don't think this sounds bad. Jet fuel will age away better stuff if it already tastes good.

Cut down the sugar to 2# per gallon and you will have something lower proof than brandy (13% ish) but it will taste good sooner, like in a year or so.

Look at Jack Kellers site ya'll, this is a typical wine recipe minus the sulfates.

Yep, I think some people get carried away with snobbery and when they see a real country wine recipe they don't even recognise it.
Not a lot of difference from this to some of Jack Kellers stuff apart from quantities of sugar.

Yep, I think some people get carried away with snobbery and when they see a real country wine recipe they don't even recognise it.
Not a lot of difference from this to some of Jack Kellers stuff apart from quantities of sugar.

And the amount of fruit. Usually, for a good country wine, you want about 3 pounds of fruit per gallon. Using sugar water to make up the lack of fruit isn't really going to give a good tasting product.

And the amount of fruit. Usually, for a good country wine, you want about 3 pounds of fruit per gallon. Using sugar water to make up the lack of fruit isn't really going to give a good tasting product.

I get ya but all this comment about prisons etc.........

I get ya but all this comment about prisons etc.........

I stand by my prison toilet comment. I'm not saying don't make it, and I'm not saying that I haven't tried making something similar in the past. Just saying it sounds like prison hooch. And when the OP gives the thread a title like "Hooch" he is inviting these comments

Back