First AG - Seems to be a success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hikeon3

Reaction score
Made the jump to AG thanks to a generous purchase of a few 10 gallon rubbermaid coolers SWMBO made for me.

Batch sparge with a SS braid. Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. Started off the night being very precise but got less-so as my attempts at precision failed me.

So mashed at what my floating thermometer said was 152, but stuck my fryer's thermometer in and it said 160. Splitting hairs? Whatever. 1.25q/lb strike/grist ratio. Was very thick. Sparged with about 5g of 170 degree water in two separate 15 minute sparges.

Ended up with about 5.75g of wort in carboy. 1.042 gravity. No idea what the efficiency on that is.

But hey! Overshot my gravity, have 5.75 gallons in the carboy, and finished an AG! I feel perty good!

Welcome to the AG club! I wouldn't worry about the turkey fryer thermometer as they are notoriously inaccurate. I still need to calibrate my floating thermometer but I can still make good beer. Those enzymes are resilient within reason.

Back