Ball lock and Pin lock kegging system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmasters Warehouse

Reaction score
On Friday I had a friend of mine give me 5 pin lock kegs for free, which is great, but The other 2 kegs I have are ball lock kegs. I was wondering what other HBT people do when they have a mixed system to keep it easy to switch between the 2 types of kegs.

I have a upright kegerator with 2 faucets currently, and I will be upgrading to 4 faucets once i have had enough time to brew that much. I want to mess with the system as little as possible when switching out kegs.

Possibly cost effective solution. I have two 5 gallon pin lock kegs that I will gladly trade you for those ball lock kegs. Should save you some time and money.

One solution would be to use disconnects that have MFL (flare) connections on them. You can then attach your lines to barbed swivel nuts and you can just screw the lines to the disconnect you need regardless of whether it's ball lock or pin lock.

pinbeermfl.jpg

ballbeermflx.jpg

fflbarbed.jpg

+1 for the swivel nut and threaded disconnects. Works great.

If you go another step further you can use threaded tail pieces and it'll make it a little more convienient for changing out lines, when/if needed. Definitely something to consider if you gas at different pressures and need different line lengths to balance the system.

Thanks for the help and the offer of the trade. I just checked my system and it already uses the threaded connections so I just have to pick up a couple of disconnects for the pin locks and I am set. My buddy sure is a nice guy. First he gives me a 20lb CO2 tank and then 5 kegs.

Back