Water report sample - Before or after filtration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertastic

Reaction score
Quick beginner question...

I'm about to get a water report from Ward (W-6), should I send them my water directly from the tap, or should I send the sample run through my water filter that I use for brew water?

I would think you would want the brewing water report, although it's probably worth getting a report on each, that way you know your starting point AND how well your filtration works.

If your filter ever craps out you'll also know if/how you need to treat the tap water.

If the filtration is simple particulate plus carbon then it is not effecting anything that the Ward Labs tests measure. If OTOH, the filtration includes a neutralizer, softener or iron filter then take the sample from after the iron filter but before the neutralizer/softener. You would not brew with the softened water and you would not brew with water which has been neutralized (because you are usually trying to get rid of akalinity but there are exceptions to this).

If the filtration is simple particulate plus carbon then it is not effecting anything that the Ward Labs tests measure. If OTOH, the filtration includes a neutralizer, softener or iron filter then take the sample from after the iron filter but before the neutralizer/softener. You would not brew with the softened water and you would not brew with water which has been neutralized (because you are usually trying to get rid of akalinity but there are exceptions to this).

Thanks, that's what I figured. Yes, it's just a carbon filter (the diy RV water filter everybody is using).

Latest posts

Back