Blue moon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
Is there a good kit or extract that will produce a finished product that is similar to Blue Moon?

austin homebrew has a clone of it that you can try. i have heard the lemon wheat beer from AHS is pretty close as well.

There is a thread on here for a Blue Balls Belgian Wit that is great. Use the search feature and to a google search. Should pop right up.

I've heard good things about most of the big name online supply store kits. I can't say I've used any of them myself. I usually just steal other people's recipes and buy the ingredients separately.

Just brewed Midwest's Belgian Wit kit for Memorial Day. Came out very well.

Comments I got were that it tatsed very similar to Blue Moon with more Citrus flavor. I ditched the orange peel in the kit and shredded my own and must have over done it.

More information than you can shake a hydrometer at here, including tips from one of the brewmasters who developed Blue Moon's original recipe.

Honestly you get a good wheat beer when you use around 6lbs of wheat DME and enough bittering hops (Hallertau) to get to around 15-17 IBU's. 1oz bitter orange peel and 1 oz crushed coriander. Eezy peezy. :mug:

AR-Josh said:
Honestly you get a good wheat beer when you use around 6lbs of wheat DME and enough bittering hops (Hallertau) to get to around 15-17 IBU's. 1oz bitter orange peel and 1 oz crushed coriander. Eezy peezy. :mug:

Blue Moon uses sweet orange peel, although i think one of the recipes that a lot of people like in the thread i referenced (nilo's #4) uses a little bitter and mostly sweet.

Blue Moon uses sweet orange peel, although i think one of the recipes that a lot of people like in the thread i referenced (nilo's #4) uses a little bitter and mostly sweet.

The OP said they wanted a blue moon type recipe. I've made that recipe before and think it's in the same genre as blue moon. If you want to clone it, then yes, that recipe is not it. I was simply giving up something easy to try.

Back