Sanitizing before carboy transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyRaygun

Reaction score
I'm about to transfer from my primary carboy to my secondary. Before I do, I would like to use a thief to measure my gravity.

I know I need to clean and sanitize it anything that touches the beer. How do I mix such a small batch of StarSan just to sanitize the thief?

Do I really need to use 5gal of water just to sanitize a the thief?

I use a spray bottle filled with distilled water and a little bit of star san in it.

Mix a batch of star San. Use it. Keep it for later. If you use distilled water you can reuse it for a few months, as long as it is clear.

One ounce divided by 5 is 0.2 ounce (or 5.9 ml). Five gallons divided by 5 is one gallon.

Well, I must be drunk. There is no reason why I couldn't have done the math and just use a lesser amount per gallon.

Thanks everyone for then response on such an obvious question.

Cheers!

ok, so how did you sanitize your secondary? Admittedly I use Iodaphor, but I have my secondary filled with 5 gal of the sanitizing solution, usually right up to the top of the neck. Then, when I'm ready to take the gravity, i just drop the thief in the secondary's neck for a min, pull it out and take my reading. Or better yet, I'll dump the contents of the carboy into my cleaned out botteling bucket, and throw the thief in there, along with another stopper and airlock, and the auto siphon i'll use for the transfer.

dfess1 said:
ok, so how did you sanitize your secondary? Admittedly I use Iodaphor, but I have my secondary filled with 5 gal of the sanitizing solution, usually right up to the top of the neck. Then, when I'm ready to take the gravity, i just drop the thief in the secondary's neck for a min, pull it out and take my reading. Or better yet, I'll dump the contents of the carboy into my cleaned out botteling bucket, and throw the thief in there, along with another stopper and airlock, and the auto siphon i'll use for the transfer.

I haven't sanitized the secondary. Yet. But as I was thinking today, I'll have to make enough sanitizer that could be used to tackle the other equipment. I was just over thinking everything. As soon as I sanitize the secondary, I can sanitize the thief, etc.

Back