What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so much today but this week I've spent about 8 hours a day as I've been home from work learning about sour beer making and styles and techniques. I really reccomemd to any brewer that is looking to learn another aspect to this hobby look into this. It not as simple as you may think and even of you don't like sours it's still a great technique to know.

Deep cleaning the brew room today
Had to transfer another keg of the pumpkin ale, selling better than I expected
Check gravity on CDA, taste test....mmmmm

Brewed 5 gallons of a chocolate milk stout, hope the wife likes it. I inventoried my grains, hops, and bottles. I also put 2oz of oak chips in some whiskey in a mason jar for an imperial stout I plan to brew later this month.

Toured Cantillon brewery. Really cool to see where and how lambics are made and try both a 20 month old one from the barrel and their geuze. Also bought a Westy 12 before leaving Brussels.

tested my thermometer to check my calibration. 8 DEGREES OFF!!! WTF!!! No wonder my efficiency is in the dumps...

Going to start a chocolate stout when the fiance heads back to work in an hour

Today I was a busy brewer. I brewed up a batch of Razzberry Wheat. And I finished up my under-stairs storage area into brew land.

I got all Bob Vila and made shelves for my primary buckets, I tiled the floor, made wooden cases to hold the beers as they bottle condition.

A nice little setup, since this is the biggest hobby I've taken on ever, and its quickly advanced from a hobby to an addiction. I love it...

Nightshade said:
Brewing a 3bbl batch of Hefe, not my favorite beer to brew but it has to be done.

I recall that mashes with much wheat need to start super thin. My neighbor's first all grain was a Hefe and he used my system. I was ill prepared for the super thick mash that had developed by mash rest end. Almost too thick to stir. Hope you don't stick the sparge!

I recall that mashes with much wheat need to start super thin. My neighbor's first all grain was a Hefe and he used my system. I was ill prepared for the super thick mash that had developed by mash rest end. Almost too thick to stir. Hope you don't stick the sparge!

No I toss in 5lbs of rice hulls and stir it in good during mash. I brew a 3bbl batch every other week, I just don't like it because I feel Hefe lacks flavor and character. I apppreciate it for what it is, but I rarely if ever actuallly drink it or am impressed by a Hefe.

Cleaned my swamp cooler out. now i know why its called a Swampcooler.

Added the first of 5# of local honey to my Cherry Braggot during full-blown fermentation. Gonna add 1# every 12 hours til Thursday. Should get me to about 9% ABV :)

Bought a bunch of empty 3 oz bottles and a 6-pack of Bell's 2 Hearted Ale on a last minute business trip to WI in an attempt to harvest and bring a viable yeast culture back to CO...!

Sent an airlock up to the international space station due to a crazy fermentation that clogged it.

I dumped a batch of my toasted oat amber ale that used my homegrown wet hops for aroma because it had a pelicle. That was a hard one to watch but I don't have the time or space to wait around and see if it becomes a good sour. Even my wife was upset about this one. I also unpacked about 15 different kinds of specialty grains, 2 kinds of yeast, 3 pounds of DME, and 12 pounds of golden promise for some future brews.

Tonight got everything cleaned up for brewing tomorrow night. Got my grains out to find out the damn weevils took over. Spent the last hr. trying to filter them out. Thought about making the batch but afraid might be eggs or infection or something. Just gonna dump the whole grain bill and begin again Next time gonna throw my grains in a sealed fermenter. Peeved to say the least!

Pulled my sour out of the fermentation chamber to sit at room temp for a few weeks to clear up and then cranked the temp down on my THA clone down to start cold crashing.

I drank a bottle of Carlsberg with adding oranges, lime and lemon. I could able to drink it without usual bitter taste.

Inserted some swizzle sticks into my kegs. Foam problem cured!

Side note, McMaster charged $16 shipping for 12 (about $12) to Hawaii. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Harvest 6 liters of yeast from the CDA
Check gravity on the Hefe
Check levels on Pumpkin Ale
Put together a new Stout recipe
Take grain and beer inventory

Overloaded the FedEx tracking service servers by clicking refresh every few seconds. FedEx said the next scheduled update is 10/4/12 on my MoreBeer shipment. Well...its 10/4! Wheres my brew-stuff?

leftcontact said:
Every so often I wish HBT had a like or +1 button. This is one of those times.

There is a like button. Just not on the iPhone app, you have to be on your comp. Though there is no +1 button.... Then again, +1 is only two buttons so it ain't much a deal.

Stopped by a local stainless fabrication shop and dropped off my hop spider parts for welding. Watch the DIY for that. Welding shop owner is a wine maker, so I see a deal working!

Back