Seattle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring_Chicken

Reaction score
Living out in the Seattle area homebrewing is everywhere right now. So why aren't there a bunch of group buys on here?

+1

Another Seattle area Homebrewer. Just doesn't seem like there are any large brewing groups like in other areas of the country. Or maybe I'm just missing it - definitely would be interested in getting involved in more group stuff, and group buys would be fantastic!

Otherwise, it seems the best price (for bulk grain) is from Larry's down in Kent.

There are tons of clubs. There are 3 public clubs in Everett alone and I know of a few more, less formal ones, as well, so it would seem that the need is there. The only thing I see resembling a group but north of Seattle is a guy that buys bulk and resells at a low cost out of his Lake Stevens home.

There are tons of clubs. There are 3 public clubs in Everett alone and I know of a few more, less formal ones, as well, so it would seem that the need is there. The only thing I see resembling a group but north of Seattle is a guy that buys bulk and resells at a low cost out of his Lake Stevens home.
Jim is good people. I got all my beginning equipment from him. He buys from Larry's and then supplies everyone up North.

Honestly?
Because most of the time with the club discount at Larry's, we don't need to do group buys. That and with so many Boeing employees in the area it's pretty easy to find someone to weld or Fab you something.

What's the club discount at Larry's like?

My problem with fabricating things here is that we here in the NW get rid of everything. When I'm looking for cheap metal for a brew stand, for instance, it has all been recycled. The recycling centers send it out daily so there's not even anything to pick through. We even recycle bottles and gallon jugs that I could be using. People should be putting these things on Craigslist or freecycle. Tell your friends. :)

Honestly?
Because most of the time with the club discount at Larry's, we don't need to do group buys. That and with so many Boeing employees in the area it's pretty easy to find someone to weld or Fab you something.
What club do you speak of? I'd be interested in getting connected to some more seasoned homebrewers. I'm up in Bellevue.

What club do you speak of? I'd be interested in getting connected to some more seasoned homebrewers. I'm up in Bellevue.

The Impaling Alers are based out of Larry's. I think we get 5% off anything in the store. It might not seem like much, but every penny helps. :)

The Impaling Alers are based out of Larry's. I think we get 5% off anything in the store. It might not seem like much, but every penny helps. :)
I'm planning on checking out the next meeting - sounds like a good group! :mug:

Awesome! I want to get more involved locally!

What time at Larrys?

I'd sure like some welding done in the future and I'd much rather have the money go to a local brewer.

Awesome! I want to get more involved locally!

What time at Larrys?

I'd sure like some welding done in the future and I'd much rather have the money go to a local brewer.
I believe the meetings are at 7pm?

They used to have a website, however google is now telling me it has Malware? Weird.. just checked it a week or so ago. I'd link it, but would rather not link something believed to have malware.

it's www.impalingalers.org or you can find us on FB.

The meetings start promptly somewhere between 7:30 and 8. There's usually about 30minutes of news/education followed by several hours of "sampling".

I'm new to the area. Moved from the Olympic peninsula to Sammamsih about 5 years ago. Moved down to Covington last April. I've been going to Larry's for years however I mainly work out of town so I don't have time to attend meetings and what not. I'm looking for local brewers (kent Covington maple valley ect) that would maybe want to swap beers every once in a while. Ill be stepping up to 10 gallon batches soon and have been wanting to find somebody else who does 10 gallon batches to swap 5 gallons with every now and then to explore new brews. Doesn't have to be 5 gallons of course. Always open to 6-packs and what not. Basically I've lived in the Seattle area for 5 years and don't still don't know anybody. The girlfriends not real big on drinking and my neighbors and people I work with just can't appreciate what goes into making a good brew. Anyways if theirs anybody local that wants to meet up sometime let me know

Is anyone in Seattle actually interested in a group buy? I need camlocks and silicone tubing, I was hoping to get some bulk discounts, maybe save some coin on shipping. I have been price shopping (a ton because its sooo expensive) and it seems the best prices are bargainfittings.com

Reviving an old thread. I'm also interested in a group grain buy. I've had a little bit of interest from some fellow members of the North Seattle Homebrew Club. Hoping this can gain some momentum.

I'm about to snag a full bag of MO, and have been planning a trip up to Skagit Malting to grab a bag each of their NZ-151, Talisman Pale, and Copeland Pale

Does Skagit sell directly to homebrewers? I would be interested in some Copeland Pils and some Munich, depending on cost. Maybe some Talisman Pale too.

rumor is that it's possible to make arrangements to purchase full bags. I hope to know for sure in the next week or two, and if so make the trip up.

I went up to Skagit Valley Malting a month or so ago and asked them if they sell to homebrewers. Unfortunately, they were getting backlash from the shops who caught wind of it. Now they won't even sell partial bags that they can't sell to the shops.

On a similar note, I've found that FH Steinbart down in Portland has some pretty darn good deals on sacks of grain. I have family down there, so I pick up a sack or two every time I go to visit.

I went up to Skagit Valley Malting a month or so ago and asked them if they sell to homebrewers. Unfortunately, they were getting backlash from the shops who caught wind of it. Now they won't even sell partial bags that they can't sell to the shops.

On a similar note, I've found that FH Steinbart down in Portland has some pretty darn good deals on sacks of grain. I have family down there, so I pick up a sack or two every time I go to visit.

I used to buy full sacks from Skagit Malting. The last time I placed an order they said it would be the last. They will only sell to homebrewers if they coordinate with a licensed shop from here on out.

Too bad. I always try to buy local if I can but if local won't sell to me that's on them. I can have sacks from national malters shipped for just a little more than I was paying at Skagit. And, I don't have to drive 30 miles to pick it up.

It's not like Skagit was selling at wholesale prices, they charged me what I would think is a retail price. I can't imagine that a shop or brewery was paying the same prices.

Probably just don't want to deal with the onesy twosy home Brewers, while they can shrink-wrap a pallet and send it to a few breweries and a homebrew shop.

For what it is worth, I got Copeland pilsner through a Seattle HBS and the price was half of what I pay for my golden promise.

Back