fementing temp range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astropunk

Reaction score
When I started my first batch, I watched my basement temp range for a couple days and it was a steady 65-66 degrees. I thought that was perfect, since my recipe calls for 64-72 range. I set my primary down there, and its almost been a week. It was happily bubbling away after 12 hours. The bubbling now is all but stopped.
We had a cold snap this week and the temps are now about 62-63degrees down there. Should I move the primary to a warmer spot in the house? Im afraid the cool temps may suspend or kill the fermentation. I was going to give this 3 weeks without touching it, then keg it around March 6, and enjoy it for St Patty's day :tank:

I don't think it would hurt to move it to a slightly warmer spot in your house... but not too much warmer. If you can ramp up the temperature near the end of the fermentation to something between 65-70 it should help improve attenuation.

Be careful that you don't exceed the temp range indicated for the type of yeast you are using though.

Waiting 3-weeks before touching it (besides moving it) is a wise idea.

Depends on the yeast.

Don't worry about the bubbling, the yeast most likely is still doing it's thing.

My basement is pretty cold and the stick on thermometer on my bucket reads a pretty constant 63-64. Which is fine for the yeast I am using.

I had the same problem. Couldn't find the perfect spot. I finally settled on a spot that stayed around 63. The beer itself of course puts off some heat from the fermentation. so mine stayed at or just above 64. It seemed to do just fine. This last Monday was the 2wk mark for me and I took a gravity reading. I had 1.008, started at 1.041. Tasted just fine.

If you keep it up off the floor that will help keep the temp up. Maybe wrap a blanket (or you could put a sweater on it:p).

Its on a rubber mat, but its also next to a concrete wall that is cold to the touch. Maybe I will put an insulation barrier against the wall and call it done. Its supposed to warm up again this weekend. I also opened a furnace vent in that room that I usually keep closed.

But it is okay to move the containers then if needed? I wasn't sure if that was a no-no or not, because it might stir things up.

I wouldn't worry about moving it early in the fermentation. I moved mine several times in the first 3-4 days. Left it upstairs at around 70 until fermentation got a good start. Then moved it to a far corner away from the furnace in the basement. Found that was way to cold (below 60) so I move it a little closer, and then finally into the same room as the furnace.
The closer you get to transferring (whether to bottling bucket or to secondary) I would avoid moving any more than needed. Just bring you equipment to the fermenter and do the transfer there.

Well, I moved it. I got home from work tonight, and took a look at the thermometer I left on the bucket. It was under 59 degrees. I moved it to the basement shower (which we never use anyway) where the temp was about 66. I think I will leave it there for the rest of the time, and just wrap a dark towel around it to shade it from the bathroom light.

Back