Top 3 Micro-Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lidon123

Reaction score
Curious as to what people think are the top 3 breweries in their area of the country. When I lived in Texas there wasn't much in the way of micro-brews but in the Pacific Northwest I am in a micro-brew heaven. Anyways my top 3 are:

Rogue Brewery- Newport,OR
Stone Brewery- Escondido,CA
Pike Place Brewery- Seattle,WA

Yes, it is great beer nirvana in the PNW, I assume you have checked out what Deschutes, Widmer, Boundary Bay, Pacific Maritime, Snoqualmie breweries right?

Anyways, It is nearly impossible to limit the list to 3 but I would pick from the list above, yours and add

Russian River

"as a microbrewery varies by region and by authority, though is usually around 15,000 barrels (18,000 hectolitres/ 475,000 gallons) a year."

Have Rogue and Stone passed that?

I don't know if they are considered micro- or not, but three from my area would be....

1. Southern Tier Brewing Company
2. Ellicottville Brewing Company
3. Great Lakes Brewing

"as a microbrewery varies by region and by authority, though is usually around 15,000 barrels (18,000 hectolitres/ 475,000 gallons) a year."

Have Rogue and Stone passed that?

Yes, they're well beyond that, but if you don't care about what the first line of wikipedia says, what else would you classify them as?

And there's no way I could get it down to three. Maybe 30?

edit: also, these lists will all depend on where people live in the states.

I'm not sure when you moved but off the top of my head... :cool:

1. St Arnold's
  2. Real Ale
  3. Live Oak
  4. Southern Star
  5. Rhar & Sons
  6. Independence

I joined the Navy in 2004, but it may just be where I grew up, because whenever I go back home the best I can find is Shiner Bock and Sam Adams for beer period, but my family is from a small county, luckily I live in the PNW now and never have to worry about a shortage of micro-brews to choose from, maybe when I go back and visit I can find some good stuff in Tx

Sierra Nevada(Though it's hardly micro anymore)
Bear Republic
Russian River

Would be my top three but there are so many in California...Lost Coast,Mendocino Brewing Co,North Coast,Moylans,Lagunitas, Butte Creek,Green Flash,Ballast Point, Stone, Anderson Valley, it goes on and on.

Founders is my clear #1 - Their taproom is a great place to drink awesome beer and they always have something going on.

Followed by Bells as #2,

Then New Holland (absolutely amazing artesian gin and single malt whisky as well as a lot of small batch specialty beers.)

Southwest Michigan is the place to be for great beer!

Their taproom is a great place to drink awesome beer and they always have something going on.
I could not disagree more...maybe during the day but at night its a disaster in there :cross:

Russian River
Stone
Bells

I'd have to give props to Sierra Nevada for making some pretty good brews and having them mass produced. Other than that, I like Founders, Russian River, and Bells has been jumping out at me a lot. I'd have to give Bells major props; had some of the most impressive beers I've had. Surprised the hell out of me.

AB is only a minority owner.

Right. But the Brewer's Assocation won't recognize them as a craft brewery.

"The Brewers Association refuses to classify Goose Island as a craft brewery. According to their rules a “craft” brewer can’t be more than 25% owned by a non-craft brewery, and, in 2007, several Goose shareholders sold out to Widmer Brothers Brewing of Oregon; Widmer supposedly now owns roughly 40% of Goose Island and are themselves nearly 40% owned by Anheiser, hence neither brewery qualifies as craft. "

Then we have to argue craft vs. micro, etc. It is all marketing and BS after that, but whatever. They still make some fine beers.

Right. But the Brewer's Assocation won't recognize them as a craft brewery.

"The Brewers Association refuses to classify Goose Island as a craft brewery. According to their rules a “craft” brewer can’t be more than 25% owned by a non-craft brewery, and, in 2007, several Goose shareholders sold out to Widmer Brothers Brewing of Oregon; Widmer supposedly now owns roughly 40% of Goose Island and are themselves nearly 40% owned by Anheiser, hence neither brewery qualifies as craft. "

Then we have to argue craft vs. micro, etc. It is all marketing and BS after that, but whatever. They still make some fine beers.

Uhhh, someone at the Brewer's Association needs a remedial math class.

True or false:

40% * 40% >= 25%

Either way the Brewer's Association is a trade association looking to promote the interests of it's members, not it's members' consumers. Goose Island put a stout in a Bourbon Barrel about 10 years before every other "craft" brewer started following their lead. I'll assign my craft brewery street cred points on the basis of innovation and quality rather than concerning myself with inter-industry battles.

Uhhh, someone at the Brewer's Association needs a remedial math class.

True or false:

40% * 40% >= 25%

Either way the Brewer's Association is a trade association looking to promote the interests of it's members, not it's members' consumers. Goose Island put a stout in a Bourbon Barrel about 10 years before every other "craft" brewer started following their lead. I'll assign my craft brewery street cred points on the basis of innovation and quality rather than concerning myself with inter-industry battles.

I agree with you. I don't really care about labels one bit, I just like good beer. There were just people here talking about what qualifies as micro and all that, and so I thought I'd include the information. And Chicago in general takes all the credit for the barrel aged revolution, which I think is reasonable.

For Michigan I would have to say;

Bells
Founders
and Jolly Pumpkin

I have only had two on JP's beers but I was fascinated by both. I haven't had the greatest experience with Great Lakes though...

Russian River
Ballast point (their year rounds are pretty darn good but it's their special releases where they really shine; Sculpin, tongue buckler, victory at sea. . .)
stone

Back