oktoberfest flavor from an ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyb

Reaction score
I would like to brew an ale that has the malty flavors of an oktoberfest. Any suggestions on what yeast to use? I was thinking of using something like a California common.
Have any of you brewed a beer like this?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Any good clean ale yeast fermented on the cool end of the range will do.

There are a couple of good Oktoberfest ale recipes in the database (the one I know off the top of my head is called OktoberFAST ale): you might look around in there for some recommendations.

kolsch depending on what fermentation temps you can get. I'm doing Ed's bee cave oktoberfest recipe with wyeast kolsch at 60F. Turned out great last time.

Nottingham is a nice clean strain and ferments down to 55 degrees.

I tried to use some WLP830 on my Oktoberfest but couldn't get the washed yeast to start so I used this and fermented around 57.

If you can ferment at 62-65 degrees, a yeast like White Lab's Pacific ale yeast would be good, or Wyeast's 1056.

Nottingham is good if you can go even lower, like to 59-60 degrees. So is Pacman yeast. Those would probably give you the best results, especially if you can ferment at or under 60 degrees.

At any temperatures higher than 65 (fermenting temperatures, not room temperatures), you'll have a fruitier beer and it'll be less like a clean lager.

I used Pacman yeast for my Dead Guy clone, and it's a smooth malty beer very much like a fest beer.

I have used California Lager yeast (Wyeast 2112) to ferment Vienna "lagers" @ 60F with good success. It's not a Vienna lager, but it's damn close. And, as my grandpa used to say, "it's good enough for the girls I go with." I'm sure 2112 would work equally as well for an Oktoberfest. Plus, it shares the same name/number as one of my favorite Rush albums! :D

Back