Stove top brewing w/ 2600w canning element...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkHelmet

Reaction score
Has anyone had luck brewing on their stove top by replacing one of the heating elements with a heavy duty 2600 watt canning element?

I'm trying to get started in brewing, and want to use my electric stove initially. It occurred to me that a large brew kettle wouldn't sit flush on my stove because the burner elements are below the rim of the stove, so I found a canning element that is raised by 3/4" and has more power (2600w for 8" element vs. the 2100w standard 8" element).

I was only able to find one other thread that discussed canning elements, and they look promising. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had luck with them, or if there are other electric heating (or indoor heating of any type) alternatives besides the heat-stick-in-the-kettle method, which I'm avoiding due to my strong aversion to electrocuting myself.

The thread that discussed canning elements is here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/an...nning-element-their-stove-boiling-wort-85991/

And here are two examples of the type of canning elements I'm talking about:

Stove/Oven/Range Big Pot & Canning Element - YA145A

08011324 Frigidaire Cooking Cooking and Canning Element

Ahoy hoy,
Thats how I do it. I put in one of the elements and it works as good as can be expected, which is, it works. It keeps you from burning stains in the enamel of your stove top, it keeps the pot off the edges, and lets it sit flush on the burner, and the extra support built on that element holds my 50 qt pot full to the brim. If it wasnt for that element, I would have a hell of a time brewing indoors in the winter, without hosing the stove. It was definitely worth the 20 bucks i paid, including shipping, for the element.
While your mileage may vary, I think you would be more then satisfied with it, especially if your choices for boiling are limited
FYI
A great day to all!

Great, thanks for the feedback! The canning element is probably my best option. I'm just trying to decide which one to get. What model are you using? How many gallons can you bring to a boil?

Glad to see someone else interested in this. It's weird that there isnt more information on these things for homebrewing... Let me know how it goes for you. I think I may get the first link that you posted, the one with the circular ring around it. Do you know if that ring sits under the the top of the stove? or does it sit on top? I'm really worried about the weight of 6 gallons of wort in my 10gal brewpot on the stove :/

Just to bump this up. I bought one off Ebay for $20 and it is a HUGE improvement.

I used to have the heat on high to boil 3 gallons and now it brings it up to boil much faster. I have no doubts that I could do a full 5 gallon boil on it, if only I had a IC. Another thing I noticed was less scorching and the top of the stove didn't get as hot (from the pot sitting up higher).

I'd recommend this to anyone else who is stuck brewing on a crappy electric stove.

Back