WL and Wyeast strains seem to be the same

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
for the most part. Is this the case. So far I've only used a handful of different strains like WY 1056, WY 1098, WY 1214, WLP 001, WLP 004. I occasionally order new strains to try but generally use what I already have on hand. I read all the different strain reviews and I always wonder what I'm missing.

Do you guys settle on one or two strains generally or do you vary wildly. I am kind of limited by what my LHBS stocks and not wanting to pay shipping for just yeast.

Regards,
Al

Many strains are from the same brewery. Check out Jamil's strain guide. I love this resource, I use it constantly esp. when I am trying to clone a beer; I'll take a few yeast strains I think would work and buy the commercial beers listed that are made with them, and select the one with a profile I like best. For instance, when I was planning my Tripel I sampled Chimay (too fruity), I had already used 3522 Ardennes for a Belgian pale ale (too malty/biscuity for a Tripel), so I ended up with the Wyeast 1388 because I liked the flavor profile of Duvel.

Yeast Strains

Right now I'm using the platinum WLP515 for a DeKoninck clone, it's the DeKoninck yeast. Wyeast doesn't have a comparable offering. Also a few of the Wyeast strains are available year around and are the same as the platinum White Labs which are seasonal (for example the WY1007 vs WLP036 German Alt strain).

Both companies have fantastic customer service. If you have a question about one of their yeasts, or want a recommendation of which yeast to use for a recipe you can e-mail them and they will respond quickly with info.

Hey, Sacch, how did the DeKonick clone turn out? I'm brewing an extract recipe of one tomorrow, using the same yeast (just put the starter for it in the brewcloset).

I'd tell you but then I'd have to shoot you. :D

Actually I don't know yet since it's still in the primary fermenter. This yeast does not perform quite like other Belgian strains, it appears to have attenuated and flocculated fairly quickly. I'll take a hydro reading this weekend and if it's done, it will go into the keg. I should know then how it tastes.

I don't have an original to compare to. I'll need to pick up a 6 pack to bring home when I'm in California next month. Many imports are hit or miss here due to the TABC's silly rules.

I agree, for the most part they are more or less the same. I have always used White Labs, just because that's what my LHBS usually carries. Now I stick with their products because I am so familiar with them.

Plus it's nice to get free crap from saving the vials :) I use so much damn liquid yeast that I've already gotten two vials for free ;)

Back