The Memory Hog - Windows Vista

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
I need some input.

I am running Windows Vista and even with the simplest applications running I was at 80%-90% memory use, AutoCAD runs slow and if I have too many applications running at once my computer is like an injured horse and just drags along.

I was running 2 DDR memory cards 512mb each to give me around 1gb of memory... I thought that would be enough, but it just wasn't...

So I now upgraded my memory to 2 DDR cards at 1gb each to give me around 2gb of memory... I think this should be sufficient. I noticed that I'm at 48% memory use running simple apps where I was once at 80+% so my memory use seems to be correct with the added 1gb.

My question; is there anything I can do to make full use of the 2gb of memory and dumb-down vista to stop hogging it all? and please, no "downgrade to Windows XP" comments as my work will not let me do that, and no "if you had a MAC" comments b/c work will not purchase XP or a MAC.

I appreicate any input.

This is actually by design as Vista uses a completely different approach to memory management... read about it here.

I'm perfectly fine letting SuperFetch have its way with my system memory. The question shouldn't be "Why does Vista use all my memory?", but "Why the heck did previous versions of Windows use my memory so ineffectively?" I don't know. Maybe the rules were different before 2 gigabytes was a mainstream memory configuration.

Braehaus,

I am not familiar with Vista, but my experience with XP is to remove as many unnecessary programs from the background. I assume that Vista has a program similar to Software Explorer which is part of Windows Defender.

Find this program or download from Microsoft. This will allow you to remove programs from loading during startup. This has really helped any Windows comp that I have used. You can tell how many programs are working by counting the number of icons in your system tray at the bottom right of the screen. At home, I have 4 or less running at one time. My office comp requires more but I try for 7 or less.

Edit: I just checked and it does work with Vista. Here is the website: Link

Note: Windows Defender will try and act as your spyware and firewall. Just disable it from startup with the Software Explorer to prevent this.

Good luck

2gb should be fine I would think. Just the basic stuff like turning off the sidebar and any other programs you don't need running.

Yeah it has a 'dynamic' memory thing which is based off of history iirc, as JohnBeere posted about. I have had great results personally. You should benchmark your system with Sisandra or something, that might help put your mind at ease.

There are certain online guides out there that can help you "Lean" up the Vista. I too was ill-informed about how Vista uses memory. Makes a difference on how you percieve the OS (Although I'm sill running XP and will until the next good thing comes out.)

The designers at our office use Inventor and we found that they needed at least 4GB of RAM in order to work effectively on Vista (even with all the bells and whistles turned off).

2 GB is fine for your everyday user but if your into gaming/3d imaging etc etc then you will derf want 4 gb.

Latest posts

Back