Recipe Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
So, with my first batch bottled and tasting damn good, a second in primary I've my eyes on the horizon.

So far I've brewed pale ales (well they were supposed to be, turned out a lil darker than expected). Also I've been using un-hopped extracts. My ultimate goal is to try and brew something similar to a Kolsch style ale. I've read that type of ale is tricky, so not ready to get there just yet. I typically like nutty-ales with a good body. I'm asking now if anyone has any recipe recommendations for my next brew. With all that in mind.

I do like darker beers as well, but not so much in the mood for dark beers latels, been preferring amber-light ales.

Kolsch isn't really at all tricky- as long as you have a way to control fermentation temperatures that is.

How about an English brown ale, or an English IPA? Those are different than pale ales, but still not "out there" for style, and do hide some flaws pretty easily.

(Extract brews generally come out darker than AG brews, just because extract tends to darken when it boils. You can do some different things, like adding the bulk of the extract late in the boil to help keep it light colored, or just accept that some extract beers will be a bit darker in color than the commercial versions.)

Well there's a start.

I've never been much of a fan of the heavy hop flavor from IPA's. I always called it a "pine-y" flavor before I figured out it was the finishing hops.

An English Brown Ale sounds tasty. I'll have to go lookup a recipe. Thing is there's a good chance I'll be moving soon, so trying not to get too ahead of myself here. Last thing I want to do is explain to the people at the US/Canada border why I'm transporting 10 gallons of beer :)

Not all hops taste Pine-y. I agree, certain american hops are so resiny and pine-y that I just can't stomach them.

I particularly like Cluster, Challenger, Fuggles or Goldings for use in English brews.

I have not tried this but if Jamil says it's good I won't argue.

From Brewing Classic Styles

8lb Pilsener 2.3L LME
0.25lb Munich 9L LME

Hops
Hallertay 4% 60 min 1.5 oz

Yeast - important thing #1
White Lab WLP029 Germain Ale/Kolsch = OR 2.5 packages of Wyeast 2565 Kolsch

Ferment at 60 degrees for 4 weeks
carb to 2.5 volums

Go for it!!

Do you like Ambers? Not as hoppy as IPA's, more body than a Pale, but not as heavy as a brown ale...Mine tastes spot on like Bell's amber ale.

My house amber ale!

Grain Bill
1.5 lbs. Munton’s Crystal 60l
6 lbs. Amber Dme.

Steep of Crystal 60
3 gallons steep to 165 deg for 30 minutes. rinse with quart of warm water. Add approx 2 pnds. DME. Bring to boil. 2 ounces hops at 60. Remaining DME @ 20. Moss at 15. 1 oz. Hops at flameout.

Boil & Hops
2.0 oz Cascade 5.9 % at 60 min.
1.0 oz. Cascade 5.9% at flameout.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees. Add water to fermenter to target O.G. (1.062) or 5 gallons.

Pitch with US 05 (w/ hydration.)

+1 to Revvy's recipe. I brewed something very similar for my first batch and at 4 weeks it is the best homebrew I've ever tasted!

However, I only tasted one homebrew. :cross: but it's very good once it is bottle conditioned.

Back