Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
I did this:

"another thing you can do is make invert sugar from your household white cane sugar. add your 3/4c sugar to 2c water and add about a tablespoon of lemon juice (or citric acid if you have it, at 1g/kg of sugar). mix these in a pot on the stove on med heat and allow to boil softly for 20-30 minutes. you've just turned pretty fermentable sucrose into REALLY fermentable glucose and fructose. check out wikipedia for all the science. this syrup will have the right amount of nearly 100% sugar so you won't get any weird flavors from the sugar."

Is this good practice?

My Haus PA has been in the bottle for 2 weeks now, has a plastic taste and when poured mostly head comes out. I messed up and used about a table spoon instead of a tea spoon of lemon juice. I just used white sugar from the store, I am going to let it sit much longer hopefully the plastic taste fades.

I doubt the amount of lemon had much to do with the change in flavor you have and/or the overcarbing of your bottles. That plastic/phenolic flavors can come from a number of different sources (the water profile, hot break in your fermenter, etc.) Focus on the processes and cleanliness during your brewing and you should be able to avoid those flavors. As for your carbing technique, I've always been a bigger fan of using 1 cup of light DME boiled for about 10 minuted in about 2-3 cups of water. Corn sugar works well also but you can use a little less.

just to narrow down the problem for ya -

when making invert sugar, i've intentionally dumped like 3 or 4 tablespoons of lemon juice in there (i was making a belgian wit, figured the extra lemon would be good) and it turned out great. no plastic flavor there.

Well It is almost three weeks, I am pretty bummed my first all grain all was going good untill this but maybe an extended stay in the closet will fix her. I have a rye PA and a Red Ale both all grain I hope I dont make this a three peat. I am going to brew an all grain bock tommorrow I am going to go back to using bottled water maybe that has somehting to do with the taste.

Latest posts

Back